Oversized 1884 Morgan Silver Dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by xavier Pena, Mar 6, 2021.

1. xavier Pena

xavier Pena New Member

I have an 1884 Morgan Silver Dollar that measures a little over 1 and 3/4 inches. The weight and silver content were checked by an independent coin dealer and he assured me the silver content was correct and the weight was correct. It is thinner than a standard Morgan since the weight is the same. He thought it might have just been flattened somehow. Another coin dealer thought it might be a gimmick of some sort. I believed if it had been flattened mechanically there would be traces of damage or distortions somewhere on the coin or the rim of the coin, however it all looks standard. It does not appear to be a fake since the silver content is correct. Has anyone run across anything like this before or do you know what it is? I added a couple of pics and one comparing it to a Peace Dollar.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

It is a really awful fake. Made in Beijing.

4. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Definitely fake not even worth $1.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

How did the first dealer verify the silver content? Did he use an XRF Analyzer?

6. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

I wonder how a dealer could even consider such a thing took place.

7. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

You should move to a different planet that has coin dealers who wouldn't be fooled by this coin. I'm not a Morgan guy by any means, but that is obviously fake. And yes, they make fake silver coins out of silver.

No, you don't...

furham likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted