oversized 1 cent piece

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by alurid, Oct 14, 2016.

1. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I came across this in a cupful of mixed coins. Did not look at it closely until I got home and realized it's a 1909 VDB. It measures 22mm at the largest, 3mm over normal and only 1mm thick .5mm under normal. All the fetures are clear and readable. I am sure it was put through a press of some type. Anyone seen this before? DSC04141.JPG DSC04142.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

4. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

5. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

6. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

It's called a Texas cent. Pounded with a rubber mallet between two pieces of leather. When done on a post 82 zinc cent the plating also falls off

TJ1952 and Seattlite86 like this.
  7. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Not an error coin, but something I would keep as a conversational piece.

8. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Here's mine.

S20160516_001.jpg

Paul M., Santinidollar and tommyc03 like this.
  9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I used to buy those 3" cast replicas in my local 5 & 10 store when I was a kid.

TJ1952 likes this.
  10. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Yeah, I got one of those too. It's .999 % DSC03973.JPG

TJ1952 likes this.
  11. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

TJ1952 likes this.
  12. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

I have one of those too,mine is a 196? something though. I think they are called "texas cents" enlarging from the use of it being hammered or something through leather.

13. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Received these last night from my neighbor for picking him up at BWI he was coming back from Las Vegas .
    A gift from Ethel M chocolates . ...
    I grade them MS - YUMMY ! 20161015_095909.jpg 20161015_095839.jpg

mikenoodle, Seattlite86 and TJ1952 like this.
  14. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

No, only this works. ;)
    S20161015_001.jpg S20161015_002.jpg

15. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Haven't tried it. I'd start with a rubber mallet and few pennies both pre and post 82 and see what happens. Might take light blows and alot of time, might take hard blows and less time.

And just for reference only the op is a Texas cent. The other 2 look like a coaster and a giant copper bullion round

16. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I have never heard of that before. Interesting, thanks for the info.

If done carefully, and not enough to change the diameter of the cent, this seems like a way to counterfeit an unplated cent. Do traces of the plating remain, or is this a convincing forgery?

17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

It could be a somewhat convincing forgery of an unplated error I guess aside from the noticeably larger abnormal size as represented in the op pics. I'm no expert on them though and they are bountuful to the extent that they show up on forums as a "what is this" often.

18. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

So I tried to make one, put 1975 cent between two pieces of leather, put it in my 4 inch vice tightened vice and then pounded on vice with a three pound hammer for about a minute.I removed the coin and it had started to get a little egg shaped.
    It's alot of work for 4 cents. A hydrolic press would be alot easier.
    With the right press I bet you could make small plates out of a morgan $1.

Draft saved Draft deleted