Overlooked Younger Brother Florian

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Mar 25, 2022.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

While skimming ebay auctions the other day, I came across a coin that had just been listed as "Ancient Roman Empire Silvered Bronze 276 AD". I read the legend, read it again, read it a third time and then smashed the "buy now" button.

For $20 (with free shipping) I got myself a nice example of an antoninianus of Florian, the often overlooked brother of Tacitus, compete with some silvering and a very nice depiction of Victory on the reverse.

Poor ole' Florian didn't get much of a shot at being emperor after his half-brother Tacitus died in June 276. Sure, he was approved by the Senate...but in the heat of the 3rd century, that didn't mean anything if you didn't have the backing of the army. In this case, the army backed their general Probus. Florian only got the chance to shine for somewhere between 60 and 88 days (depending on which historian you read) before he was either killed by his own soldiers or committed suicide.

slazzer-edit-image (23).png
    Florian
    AE Antoninianus
    June-September 276
    Cyzicus mint
    Obverse: IMP FLORIANVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right Reverse: CONCORDIA MILITVM, Victory standing right presenting wreath to Florian standing left
    Mintmark T

Feel free to share your Florians or another overlooked brother who never got their chance to shine. Thanks for looking!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great catch & example.

[​IMG]
    Florian (276 A.D.)
    Æ(S) Antoninianus
    O: IMP C M ANN FLORIANVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust right.
    R: PROVIDEN DEOR, Providentia standing right, holding two ensigns, facing Sol standing left, raising right hand and holding globe; star in lower centre, mintmark –/–//KA(•)Γ(•).
    Serdica Mint
    22.6mm
    3.56g
    RIC 111, BNC p.408

http://www.ric.mom.fr/en/coin/4480?idType=4480

Published on Wildwinds!

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

5. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Very good catch.
    I don't have a Tacitus or a Florian. I might get one (after I finish my new hobby, going to the dentist, as I'm gonna participate in many "auctions" in the next weeks/months). But I will try to "steal" one when the time comes. This might be difficult for Florian.

Here is a relevant coin I recently got. Yep, not rare and the condition could have been better, but getting a Saloninus (brother of Valerian II :) )for 18 EUR especially in these times was a big surprise.

upload_2022-3-26_1-23-58.png

6. furryfrog02

7. furryfrog02

I don't have Saloninus or Valerian II. For 18 Eur I would've jumped all over that as well!

ambr0zie likes this.
  8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

FLORIANUS
    Antoninianus
    OBVERSE: IMP FLORIANVS AVG, radiate, draped & cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: CONCORDIA MILITVM, Victory standing right presenting wreath to Florian standing left. Q in ex.
    Struck at Cyzicus, 276 AD
    2.9g, 21mm
    RIC 116q

sky92880, ominus1 and furryfrog02 like this.
  9. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

Lucius Verus, heavily overshadowed by his big brother Aurelius and unknown to the common person! poor guy's not even in the list of 'five good emperors', tbh it's should be him rather than Nerva! If not for his smooth cooperation with Aurelius, Rome would've seen yet another civil war sooner! Also if not for his premature death, he could've outlived Aurelius and even become the sole emperor, sparing the trouble of Commodus.
    MARS_VERVS.png

10. furryfrog02

Ah ok, that makes sense. I was thinking it was something different with the "tail" of the Q sticking out straight to the right like that.

11. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Since you mentioned, I have a Valerian II but this was just a bet I made with myself. Starting price was 10 EUR. No bids. I clicked Bid and I said that if anybody else wants it, go ahead. I didn't want to pay a cent over 10 EUR. Got it.
    upload_2022-3-26_1-45-37.png

Nobody can consider Titus overlooked, but his short reign (and life) was eclipsed by Domitian.
    I prefer Titus coinage more.
    upload_2022-3-26_1-48-24.png

12. Jims Coins

Jims Coins Well-Known Member

FBA-345 OBV.jpg FBA-345 REV.jpg Bronze Coin (AE Antoninianus) minted at Ticinum during the reign of FLORIAN in 276 A.D. Obv. IMP.C.M.AN.FLORIANVS.P.AVG.: Rad., dr. & cuir. bust r. Rev. CONCORDIA.MILIT.: FLORIAN stg. r., clasping hand of Concordia stg. l. RICV #57. RCSII #11851.

13. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

brothers in arms:

P1220132.JPG P1190484.JPG

14. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Good catch! Yep, I was watching that one myself...and was rather regretting it when I saw it got sold. But now I'm happy it went to a good home! :)

15. furryfrog02

I'm glad you didn't pull the trigger! I've been wanting Florian for quite some time. He definitely has a good home. :)

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  16. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

.kool.....i've got an 'early' one(1st 30 days or so) and a 'later' one(next & last 30 days or so):D IMG_0384.JPG IMG_0386.JPG

17. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Someone who is often overlooked, Hostilian.

[​IMG]
    Hostilian (250 - 251 A.D.)
    AR Antoninianus
    O: C VALENS HOSTIL MES QVINTVS N C Bust radiate, draped right.
    R: PRINCIPI IVV - ENTVTIS Hostilian standing l. holding standard and spear.
    Rome Mint
    4.16g
    22mm
    RIC-181d (S), C-34 (4 Fr.)

Ex. Jonathan Kern, ANA Show, 19 March 1998.
    Ex. Harlan J Berk Buy or Bid Sale, #213, Lot 312

18. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Billon Aurelianus of Florian 276 AD Lugdunum Mint, Obv Bust right radiate draped and cuirassed. Rv.Felicitas standing right. RIC 11 4.03 grms 23 mm mm Photo by W. Hansen florian4.jpg This image of Florian depicts him with a beard that covers the neck and the cheek but leaves the chin clean shaven. The mint of Lugdunum is the only mint in which the new emperor Florian is depicted having a beard that was very similar to that of his predecessor Tacitus. This is curious as all the other mints depict Florian wearing the more or less iconic short military style beard favored my the majority of emperors during the later half of the third century.

19. romismatist

romismatist Well-Known Member

That coin was definitely a steal... for that condition, you would otherwise have gotten it for $90 or so...

ominus1 and furryfrog02 like this.
  20. furryfrog02

That's what I was thinking. Other ones on vcoins are upwards of $100. Not a coin I could afford normally. Was just planning on having a Florianus sized hole in my set :p

21. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Good catch, glad you got it! I was considering that one too and would have bought it as well if I didn’t already have one of the type. A good coin at a good price! That coin is the type of good deal you used to be able to find a bit more often a few years ago but rare now! Congrats! This one cost me $100 and isn’t 5X better.
    FlorianCyzicusRICV-1-116.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted