Overlays

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Danomite, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

In my never ending quest to compile a complete LMC RPM collection I’m finding it harder to properly attribute some of the minor RPMs. There are 144 listed 1959 D (Wexler) and 113 1960D (VV) alone and not all the die stages (EDS, MDS, LDS and so on) are identified and die markers can vary between stages. I’m wondering if anyone has experience with overlays, what programs are you using, and what hardware are you using? Feel free to post any examples of your overlays. Thanks, Dano

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Some of the coins have more varieties than you can go through in a few nights work. If they are obvious I will assign them. If they are not, I will just classify the coin as RPM and let it go at that.

Danomite likes this.
  4. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I use a stereo microscope next to my computer monitor and look back and forth. Develop a mental language of sorts to describe useful things to see (mint mark position, orientation, die markers, etc.) and it'll become easier, requiring less back-and-forth. I can often (alas, not always) make fast work out of 1921 Morgans this way, and there are hundreds of those.

Danomite likes this.
  5. Inspector43

I was looking at my 1879 S Morgan with 3rd Reverse. Trying to assign VAM. Gave up, there are too many possibilities for these old eyes.

Danomite likes this.
  6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

That's a tough year to attribute, and not well-enough documented to make the attribution easy. Of interest for 79-S is a lot of retouched reverses, where leaves in the wreath (especially above ONE and by UN) have been re-engraved or "etched" in the die.

Inspector43 likes this.
  7. Inspector43

Absolutely. I have to study it some more.

Draft saved Draft deleted