Over-struck silver crowns question

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by serafino, Jun 15, 2017.

1. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

I have a question about over-struck silver crowns in Brazil and other countries. For example the 1816 Brazil 960 Reis crowns were over-struck onto Spanish 8 Reales coins.

When that happened would you still be able to see any of the previous coins' details and would the weight remain the same or change.

THANKS

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The weight will be the same.

Sometimes you can see the undertype. Sometimes it is difficult to see. It depends.

serafino likes this.
  4. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

There is usually a premium for coins where the host can be clearly identified (year and mint mark)

serafino likes this.
  5. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Well-Known Member

I have a few coins that you can identify the under type by date, mint marks, country, etc. One of my favorite coins is an Irish 1804 6 shillings struck on a Mexican 1794 8 reales. I believe the English or Irish coins were shaved a slight bit to get a proper weight, but don't quote me on that.

6. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Overstruck coins are very interesting. I have some overstruck coins in my collection. Crown coins are usually a lot dearer. Some examples here: http://gxseries.com/numis/overstrike/world_overstrike.htm

In general, there would be no reason for the coin weight to be changed. However there may be times when weights may be intentionally shaved off to match the 'technical weight'.

Every overstruck coin have a different appeal as there are many variables that could lead the underlying image to remain somewhat intact or non-existent. It could be the orientation of the original coin against the freshly struck dies, striking pressure, etc.

serafino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted