Over-graded Sticker... Good Idea or not?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Endeavor, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

The same principle as CAC (or other 2nd opinion grading companies), but instead of a sticker indicating under-graded or not under-graded have a sticker indicating over-graded.

Wouldn't such a thing protect the collector (end buyer) more?

Paul M. and Evan8 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Lol. Seriously? Who would think about sending their coin in for such a sticker? And if you somehow got one, who would leave it on?

Insider and Endeavor like this.
  4. Endeavor

LOL

I don't know who... maybe someone wanting to know if they got ripped off?? They can then remove the sticker and rip someone else off.

Is it really more silly than the way it is now?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    Insider and Evan8 like this.
  5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Sorry, Endeavor, that idea will float like an anvil.:confused:

Endeavor likes this.
  6. Endeavor

Maybe the sticker becomes like a novelty item that brings a premium. You could even have limited edition design stickers for greater premium.

Also, low ball set collectors might be interested in this.

Insider likes this.
  7. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Let's critique the critiquing company. That's all those stickers are. If people would learn grading and not be afraid of asserting their opinion of a coin without the opinion of PCGS or NGC, CAC wouldn't exist.

I think people rely too much on TPGs to the point that they feel like they don't have to learn grading.

carpman98 and ToughCOINS like this.
  8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That is the one area of the market that may be supportive, but it's such a small small part of the market that it would never be able to sustain such an operation unless it was just someone casually doing it on the side

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I know that the following is not a coin but this thread reminded me of a $20.00 Bill that was printed with a Del Monte Banana sticker on it!
    sealed 20 1.gif
    Because the idea is bananas! :wacky:

TIF and dwhiz like this.
  10. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

The only thing I wish that CAC did was keep a list of certified coins they have seen. That way you did not send coins in multiple times - or if you were buying you could see they did not sticker it already. That would be nice to have. Other than that I don't think an over-graded sticker would fly as already mentioned.

11. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Since there's strong evidence that each TPG has it's own grading standards who's to say WHAT overgraded is.

I bet NNC and others like them would be VERY willing to sticker coins as being easily as good as the grade on the slab :greedy: :rolleyes:

12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I had thought of this too. However, you would still have self selection problems. If a dealer knew the coin was overgraded, why would he ever let CAC see it then?

This is the problem with slabbing. Changing grading scales over time, crackouts and resubmits for any coin that could possibly upgrade by its very definition will mean most coins eventually will be in the highest POSSIBLE slab, with the vast majority overgraded.

-jeffB likes this.
  13. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

Toned coins would need their own class of sticker... It seems to me that PCGS and NGC think that ALL toning is good. This isn't the case. I've seen so many ugly slabbed MS 66s & MS 67s, particularly in silver coins.

Endeavor likes this.
  14. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Keep inventing stickers and pretty soon you'll need so many stickers to get top value for your "investments" that you won't be able to see the coin underneath. I don't know what you'd call the hobby then, but it certainly wouldn't be numismatics.

I'm not even a US collector, preferring to stick to ancients, but I'm already aware of something like 4 stickering services for you slab fans. How many more do you need? Pretty soon we'll even be seeing slabs encased in a "special" plastic slab protector with more stickers certifying the accuracy of the stickers already on the slab. I give it a year tops before this happens.

Endeavor likes this.
  15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Anvils will float if you use the right liquid.

NSP likes this.
  16. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

It's not "need" but perceived opportunity. With that said though, I do agree with your overall point.

17. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Like molten gold? :smuggrin:

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That would work, I believe. I don't think the anvil would melt. I was actually thinking of mercury so we could do it at room temperature. More comfortable that way.

19. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

They do they just won't make the information publicly available since it biases people against the coin and everyone just assumes it's over graded when most are just properly graded low end for the grade coins

20. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

CAC already has a sticker for overgraded coins. It's red, rather than green and I guess you already see what happens when coins receive a red sticker. They are peeled off, and nobody ever knows that they were there.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  21. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Please don't keep me ignorant! What liquid would an iron anvil float? Mercury? Molten gold or lead? Supercooled gas?

Draft saved Draft deleted