Our First Upgrade

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Jun 12, 2020.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

At our first ever coin show looking for ancients, FFIVN and I picked out a Pontos, Amisos AE21 from a "junk bin" for $5 and boy does it put the "junk" in "junk bin". However, this coin really gave me my love for all things Nike/Victory. I have been wanting an upgrade for awhile but haven't found one that was an upgrade enough for me at a price that I could justify getting a coin that we already had an example of. I've placed bids on a few but never won one until this last week. Well, it arrived in the mail today and I couldn't be happier. A pretty good upgrade for only $9.50 if I do say so myself.

Here is our first:

Amisos, Pontos,
    AE21
    85-65 BC
    Obverse: Aegis facing
    Reverse: AMI-ΣOY, Nike walking right, holding palm tied with fillet over left shoulder; monograms left and right

Badly centered on the obverse. Scratched. patina flaked off. The reverse is decently centered but pretty worn and hard to see. Some flaking on the patina as well as all the little green spots.
    Amisos.jpg

Here is today's arrival:

Amisos, Pontos,
    AE22
    85-65 BC
    Obverse: Aegis facing
    Reverse: AMI-ΣOY, Nike walking right, holding palm tied with fillet over left shoulder; monograms left and right
    Pontos, Amisos.png

Let's see some of your upgrades!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

kool! .. a good inexpensive rush...:)....i like that 2nd one!

furryfrog02 likes this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great upgrade, @furryfrog02 ! these are just great coins. So cool.

[​IMG]
    Pontic Kingdom, Amisos
    AE21, 6.95g; 85-65 BC
    Obv: Aegis with Gorgon head at center.
    Rev: Nike advancing right carrying palm branch. AMI-ΣOY in field with mongrams.
    Reference: SNG XI Stancomb 688.
    Ex: @John Anthony

TheRed, Marsyas Mike, DonnaML and 8 others like this.
  5. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I scored this identical issue of yours for around $7. Deal of a lifeitme
    Mithradates VI Sear 3642.JPG

6. Carl Wilmont

Carl Wilmont Well-Known Member

Great upgrade, @furryfrog02- I like that dark blue-green color! Three different looks posted here with your's and @Alegandron's olive-gold one and @hotwheelsearl's black with bluish tints coin. Here's a fourth example that has a light brown obverse and light green reverse.

[​IMG]

7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I like this issue. Here's one I've never posted here before.

Amisos Gorgon 2.jpg

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That's an excellent upgrade, especially for the price. Mine, below, is a contemporary imitation.

Pontos Amisos - Aegis Nike Imitation.jpg
    PONTOS, Amisos. Contemporary (Sarmatian?) Imitation
    AE23. 7.27g, 23.5mm. Contemporary (Sarmatian?) imitation of PONTOS, Amisos, circa after 105 BC. Cf. HGC 7, 242 for prototype. O: Aegis with Gorgon's head at center. R: Nike advancing right carrying palm; [A]MI-Σ… across field.

Here's another type from Amisos, with the same Nike reverse, but the bust of an Amazon on the obverse wearing a wolf-skin headdress.

Pontos Amisos - Amazon Wolfskin 2568.jpg
    PONTOS, Amisos
    AE21. 7.15g, 21.2mm. PONTOS, Amisos. Struck under Mithradates VI, circa 95-70 BC. HGC 7, 244; SNG BM Black Sea 1219. O: Head of Amazon right, wearing wolf-skin headdress; counter-punch behind. R: AMI-ΣOY, Nike advancing right, holding palm branch and wreath.
    Ex E.E. Clain-Stefanelli Collection

10. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Lovely example and great patina! A worthy upgrade!

furryfrog02 likes this.
  11. NicholasMaximus

NicholasMaximus Well-Known Member

A coin that nice for less than ten bucks?

deal.gif

12. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

P1150426 (2).JPG

Its no upgrade, but part of a cheap lot of 12 coins.

13. furryfrog02

That is a pretty nice Aegis. Shame about the damage on Nike :(

14. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Yes, its not easy to find bronze Pontus coins in good condition. Took me some
    time to find this one, still far from perfect :(

P1150426medusa3 (2).jpg

15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

16. furryfrog02

I like helmeted coins as well. I need to add one to my collection.

17. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Those wishing to research the matter will fing quite a number of posts from at least five years ago on the Mithradates VI coins. Many were started by SteveX6 who was very active then and was particularly fond of the series. I believe he was closing in on a complete set of the mints of the type discussed here and had all the common ones of the slaying type. The things are hard to find with full details on all the important parts so some of us have one with a good Medusa body and another with a Perseus head etc. I would like to see the coin that has all the details on one smooth, well struck flan. I'd like to see it but I know I could not afford it. For the coin in this post I'll show my first of the type (an Amisosso well centered that part of everything is crowded or cut by the 'normal for these' flan..
    g61470b00608lg.jpg

Less often seen but neither popular nor expensive is the Amisos fractional with Artemis and tripod. In equal grade, these will sell for less than 1/10 of the going rate for the more common slaying scene coins.
    g61485fd1646.jpg

Carl Wilmont, TheRed, Bing and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted