Ottoman/Turkey pickups

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Hiddendragon, May 2, 2018.

1. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I put in a low bid on this lot on eBay and was surprised to win it. For $10 I feel like it was a great deal. I need to work on attributing the coins correctly as the person who labeled them didn't seem to know about the regnal dates. They were listed as all Turkish but the 1917 10 piastres is Egyptian and is probably the best of the lot. Most of the others are from the 19th century so that's a bonus. IMG_20180502_0001-crop.jpg IMG_20180502_0002-crop.jpg

coin_nut, Nas, Stork and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Very nice deal. Congrats.

4. Hiddendragon

Does anyone know where I can find a translation of the dates to the Western calendar? I can translate the numbers but I'm not sure I'm doing the math correctly and my Krause doesn't give the Western dates. For example, if a date is 1255 (16), what year is that in the Western calendar?

5. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

https://www.oriold.uzh.ch/static/hegira.html

6. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

To convert AH dates, take 3% of the AH date, round it to the nearest whole number, subtract it from the whole, and add 622. In your case, you also add whatever amount the regnal year is. For example, 1255 X 0.03 = roughly 38. 1255 - 38 = 1217. 1217 + 622 = 1839 (the accession date) 1839 + 16 = 1855, the year of mintage. I hope that straightens things out.

Trebellianus and Hiddendragon like this.
  7. Hiddendragon

At first I thought you were kidding but it actually works. 1855 was the date I had come up with by taking the accession year and adding 16, but I didn't know if that was correct.

8. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

I read how to do it in the Standard Catalog of World Coins. It’s very helpful. I’d assume it’d work the other way as well, but I don’t remember sultans specifically, so I’ve found I do better with the year. I do think you just add the regnal year

Hiddendragon likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted