Ottoman Gold + Countermarks For Identification

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by norantyki, Mar 5, 2021.

1. norantyki

norantyki CoinMuncher

OK, I have tried this before... here's hoping that some fine member of this forum can break this... Some years ago now, I bought these three Ottoman gold coins, all bearing the same countermark. At the time, I was told that the mark was of Bulgarian origin, which owing to the crown and letters, I found plausible (they were also bought in Bulgaria). I must admit that I purchased them more because I found them attractive, and because there are three all bearing the same marks.

I have tried researching them many times over the years, and never manage to make any progress. I understand that jewelers used to mark gold coin in the Ottoman Empire, but the crown / nature of these seem to be less informal than typical Ottoman hallmarks. I was wondering if perhaps if anyone could offer any help in identifying the mark, and also perhaps give a definitive ID to the host coins (as I always seem to make mistakes with Ottoman coinage). Many thanks in advance for your help.

Attached Files:

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Here's my best guess for coin #3. However, I cannot give you a precise date.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces52505.html

Edit: I'd also highly recommend providing specifics such as the diameter and weight of your coins. That would help in narrowing down the field of possibilities.

4. norantyki

norantyki CoinMuncher

They are 17mm, 20mm, and 22mm respectively... My scale just broke, so unfortunately, weights are not available.

Bradley Trotter likes this.
  5. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

They all are Mahmud II. The first and second ones are year 19, while the third is year 14. The first two are Cedid Adli, while the third is a Rumi Tek Altin.

Chris B likes this.
  6. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

I can’t help with the marks unfortunately.

7. norantyki

norantyki CoinMuncher

@Milesofwho - Thank you so much for that! Greatly appreciated.

Milesofwho and Bradley Trotter like this.
  8. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I have most of Sultan Mahmud II AV coinage. I have good reference books on them. There where none struck with countermarks. He had them struck in Kostantiniye Mint/ but also in Misr/ Jazair numerous othere mint sites for the vast Ottoman Empire in 1808-39.

buckeye73 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted