Ottoman Curious Mint

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 7Calbrey, Jun 24, 2021.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Weighing 4.46 g. the following silver coin was not struck at Constantinople but rather in a provincial mint. It was likely issued under Sultan Mahmud II. Year of reign is 17. On the obverse, there's a flower to the right of Toughra in right field. The name of the mint is on reverse but somewhat worn. I could guess Ma'arra or maybe Maan or Saada in Yemen. I would be very pleased if a coin-friend could just name that mint or city.

OttoMint.JPG OttoM R.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

7Calbrey likes this.
  4. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Thanks a million @THCoins . This fake was bought together with another silver coin from the Netherlands. It dates back to the Renaissance era of the sixteenth century. The coin weighs 27 g. and is dated 1589. Obverse shows a man holding something with his right hand and turning his head right. Reverse has a rampant lion. The denomination is a Daalder or Lion Daalder (Dollar). I thought it was struck in the province of Gelderland, but it reads HOL instead of GEL suggesting it's from the old province of Holland in The Netherlands by that time. Hope it's genuine this time.

LionDaalder O.JPG LioDaald R.JPG

ambr0zie likes this.
  5. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

That is a Leeuwendaalder as you already noticed.
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces182742.html
    Nice big chunk of silver!
    And I think it's genuine.
    A friend bought a slightly better one (also 1589!), slightly better, for a decent price.
    I have seen a similar one, 1641 if I remember correctly, in a numismatic fair - but the seller wanted a price that was simply inadequate.

Even if I decided to stick to ancients (in fact, I want to pause my purchases for a while), I also want a Leeuwendaalder - I consider this type of coin a must have in my collection.

7Calbrey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted