Otto III Holy Roman emperor

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Just won this little medieval coin. I was looking for a coin of Otto IV but stumbled across this one. It will make a nice addition to my historical characters collection. Please keep posting your medieval coins.

From wikipedia:

"Otto III (June/July 980 – 23 January 1002) was Holy Roman Emperor from 996 until his early death in 1002. A member of the Ottonian dynasty, Otto III was the only son of the Emperor Otto II and his wife Theophanu.

Otto III was crowned as King of Germany in 983 at the age of three, shortly after his father's death in southern Italy while campaigning against the Byzantine Empire and the Emirate of Sicily. Though the nominal ruler of Germany, Otto III's minor status ensured his various regents held power over the Empire. His cousin Henry II, Duke of Bavaria, initially claimed regency over the young king and attempted to seize the throne for himself in 984. When his rebellion failed to gain the support of Germany's aristocracy, Henry II was forced to abandon his claims to the throne and to allow Otto III's mother Theophanu to serve as regent until her death in 991. Otto III was then still a child, so his grandmother, the Dowager Empress Adelaide of Italy, served as regent until 994.

In 996, Otto III marched to Italy to claim the titles King of Italy and Holy Roman Emperor, which had been left unclaimed since the death of Otto II in 983. Otto III also sought to reestablish Imperial control over the city of Rome, which had revolted under the leadership of Crescentius II, and through it the papacy. Crowned as Emperor, Otto III put down the Roman rebellion and installed his cousin as Pope Gregory V, the first Pope of German descent. After the Emperor had pardoned him and left the city, Crescentius II again rebelled, deposing Gregory V and installing John XVI as Pope. Otto III returned to the city in 998, reinstalled Gregory V, and executed both Crescentius II and John XVI. When Gregory V died in 999, Otto III installed Sylvester II as the new Pope. Otto III's actions throughout his life further strengthened imperial control over the Catholic Church.

From the beginning of his reign, Otto III faced opposition from the Slavs along the eastern frontier. Following the death of his father in 983, the Slavs rebelled against imperial control, forcing the Empire to abandon its territories east of the Elbe river. Otto III would fight to regain the Empire's lost territories throughout his reign with only limited success. While in the east, Otto III strengthened the Empire's relations with Poland, Bohemia, and Hungary. Through his affairs in Eastern Europe in 1000, he was able to extend the influence of Christianity by supporting mission work in Poland and through the crowning of Stephen I as the first Christian king of Hungary.

Returning to Rome in 1001, Otto III faced a rebellion by the Roman aristocracy, which forced him to flee the city. While marching to reclaim the city in 1002, however, Otto III suffered a sudden fever and died in a castle near Civita Castellana at the age of 21. With no clear heir to succeed him, his early death threw the Empire into political crisis."

Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 4.27.36 PM.png

Otto III AD 983-1002. Holy Roman Empire. Pavia
    Denaro AR
    16mm., 1,22g.
    nearly very fine

Savoca Coins 9thBlue auction Part 2 Lot 2103 August 26, 2018

seth77, Ajax, FitzNigel and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Very cool! I like these too, but I don't know how to distinguish among the various Ottos. :( Do you know what marks this one out as Otto III?

I enjoyed the writeup too.. so many connections to other historical figures. I like the story of Theophano shocking the Frankish aristocracy with her <gasp!> use of a fork. :)

Here's her uncle, John Tzimisces:
    Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 2.34.31 PM.jpg

And Stephen I of Hungary (quite a strange looking coin):
    7680.jpg

4. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Very nice coin @Orfew the Ottonians are an interesting group. I've always wanted a coin or two from the dynasty.

Orfew likes this.
  5. Orfew

I do not know why this is Otto III, but I know is Otto because his name is on the coin.

Great coins @Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander likes this.
  6. Orfew

Thanks @TheRed

It is an interesting time period and the Ottonian clan are an interesting group.

Draft saved Draft deleted