Other coin graders.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Pilkenton, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

I have about six or seven coins graded by the "other" coin graders. I know the reputation of these grading companies, and the accuracy of their grades. I bought them because the price was right. I'm not worried about an accurate grade, so I'm not planning on getting them regraded. I'm just wondering, should I crack them open and put them in airtights, or should I just leave them in the slabs for protection?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

Graded by whom?

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

There is nothing wrong with buying coins in slabs of third-world grading companies as long as you can inspect them in-hand before committing to purchase and pay a price that is appropriate for the "actual" grade.

If the value of the coin doesn't justify crossing it to one of the better services, I see no reason why you shouldn't leave them in the original slab.

My 1915-S Pan Pac is in a SEGS MS63 slab, but I paid AU money for it many years ago.

Chris

Attached Files:

5. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

I've got some PCI's and NTC's.

6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

PCI is/was reasonable.
    SEGS too.
    I don't believe NTC has that same reputation.

7. Breakdown

Breakdown Member

PCI had a decent reputation for a second tier group (David Lawrence bought them out and renamed them DGS), same with SEGS -- I like that Pan Pac, Chris.

I agree with Kanga on NTC.

Sorry I don't know the answer on the question posted -- Doug or someone will come along that will likely know if those slabs are better than airtites for storage.

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You bought 'em because you liked 'em. Fair to say you bought the coin not the holder. I'd leave 'em be......

9. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

Air tite id say.

10. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

I was at the San Diego Coinarama yesterday and one dealer had dozens of SGS slabs, all MS70. The cents were prices at $1 each, the dimes around $2, etc.
    Looking at them, there was no way that any of them could even claim to be MS67 or even close. I must have looked at 50+ and didn't see a single coin that I would want, even in raw condition.

My choices are PCGS, NGC, ANACS & ICG.

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Yes, I sat there also and noticed them. That booth was a coin shop operation and had several consignments from local collectors. I was looking at the nice PCGS ( green label) 1909-SVDB ( but had a spot in a bad are of reverse).

But you did the right thing, you looked at the coins and not just at the labels. That should be done even with PCGS, NGC, and all of the rest. I like to look at PCI and SEGS coins, found many nice ones in those slabs and flips before they had slabs ( yeah I am chronologically challenged).

Jim

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Just leave them as is. One is as good as the other.

Draft saved Draft deleted