OTD: Sextus, Agrippa and one of the many ends of the Republic

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

On September 3rd (Today:woot:) 36 BCE, in the Battle of Naulochus, Octavian's right hand man and General, Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa defeats Sextus Pompey, son of Pompey Magnus or "The Great" (supposedly named this by Sulla with tongue in cheek), thus ending Pompeian resistance to the Second Triumvirate.
    After his fathers unfortunate death and decapitation, in Ptolemaic Egypt, Sextus continued his fathers cause resorting to free booting to acquire funds and men. He did his fathers name proud, even minting some lovely coins (none of which I have to show:sorry:) while putting up strong resistance. Sadly, within a year of losing this, his last battle of which be narrowly escaped, he would be killed by Marcus Titius without trial, a man whom he'd once spared, at the early age of 32.
    Agrippa, however, was a man on the rise! He would continue to fight, and win, nearly every battle Octavian/Augustus asked him to participate in. He was away at battle conquering the upper Danube river when he died at the, also, early age of 51. He, as well as up to 5 other individuals, would have been known as the 2nd emperor of Rome had Augustus not outlived them all.
    Here are my 3 fun multi colored/patinated Agrippa's!
    CollageMaker Plus_20186120558656.png

Please post your Agrippas, Pompeys, 2nd triumvirates or anything you deem awesome!

David@PCC, TIF, zumbly and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Fantastic trio, and nice post. Well, here is something from the second Triumvirate, now 80% paid off to FORVM, and soon to be officially mine .

Would have been 100% paid off if I didn't have to pay that $163 traffic ticket last week for "Improper U-Turn". :(:bag:

82693q00 (2).jpg

David@PCC, TIF, zumbly and 9 others like this.
  4. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Yesterday was also the 2059th (if my math is correct) anniversary of the battle of Actium. So here is Nero, with Actian Apollo
    NeroActium.jpg

NEPΩ KΛAV KAIΣ ΣEB ΓEP AV
    Radiate bust left, wearing aegis. Date LIΔ.

ΠYΘEIOΣ AΠOΛΛΩN.
    Laureate bust of Apollo Aktios right, quiver over shoulder; star before.

Alexandria mint, Year 14= 67-68 AD

12.18g

RPC 5318, Köln 195; Dattari 207; Milne 300; Emmett 111

Ex-ANE

David@PCC, TIF, zumbly and 7 others like this.
  5. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Here are some of the characters....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:) Q

David@PCC, TIF, Andres2 and 10 others like this.
  6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

i look at(shop for) Sextus coins all the time..but i have a Marc Agrippa AeAs coin minted in Caligula's reign.. marc aggripa ae as 003.JPG marc aggripa ae as 005.JPG

David@PCC, TIF, Andres2 and 8 others like this.
  7. ominus1

O very nice Q..:)

Cucumbor and Ryro like this.
  8. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

That's a great Antony portrait @Cucumbor.

Cucumbor and Ryro like this.
  9. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Wonder what's on the reverse of your 3 Agrippa's Ryro

Neptune ?

Agrippa neptune.jpg

David@PCC, TIF, zumbly and 7 others like this.
  10. Ryro

I second that! WOWiE!! Fantastic portrait of Pomps. They say he even styled his hair after Alexander the Great. You can get a good feel for the style on that beauty:snaphappy:

Cucumbor and ominus1 like this.
  11. ominus1

..makes ones numis mouth water :woot:

Ryro likes this.
  12. Ryro

Yessir. On all 3! I know I took the reverse pics at the time...but where did I put them?

13. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

[​IMG]
    Augustus, with Agrippa (27. B.C. 14 A.D.)
    GAUL, Nemausus
    Æ As
    O: Heads of Agrippa left, wearing rostral crown and laurel wreath, and Augustus right, wearing oak wreath, back to back. IMP above, DIVI F below.
    R: Crocodile right chained to palm branch with long vertical fronds; above, wreath with long ties, palms below; COL NEM flanking vertical palm.
    Nemausus mint, 9-3 B.C
    10.26g
    27mm
    RPC I 524; RIC 1 158

[​IMG]
    AGRIPPA (Died 12 B.C.)
    Æ As
    O: M. AGRIPPA. F. COS. III, head left, wearing rostral crown.
    R: Neptune standing left, holding small dolphin and trident; S-C across field.
    Rome mint. Struck under Gaius (Caligula)
    27mm
    9.72g
    RIC I 58 (Gaius); MIR 3, 24-6; BMCRE 161 (Tiberius); Cohen 3

[​IMG]
    Mark Antony and Octavian (41 B.C.)
    AR Denarius
    M. Barbatius Pollio, quaestor pro praetore
    O: Bare head of Mark Antony right.
    R: Bare head of Octavian right, wearing slight beard.
    Ephesus mint, Spring-early summer 41 B.C.
    3.5g
    20mm
    Crawford 517/2; CRI 243; Sydenham 118

David@PCC, TIF, Andres2 and 9 others like this.
  14. Ryro

They really hate being separated but ok here they are all by themselves...
    CollageMaker Plus_201845215155205.png 11059297_985116268187965_2644651074384778242_n.jpg CollageMaker Plus_20184521141859.png
    AGRIPPA

Died 12 BC. Æ As (29mm,
    11.09 gm). Struck under
    Caligula, 37-41 AD. Head of
    Agrippa left, wearing rostral
    crown / Neptune standing
    left, holding small dolphin
    and trident. RIC I 58 (Gaius);
    Cohen 3. VF, red, greenish blue and
    brown patina.

Man the reverse of my red one should go in my "ancient static" thread!

David@PCC, TIF, Andres2 and 7 others like this.
  15. Ryro

Great stuff right there! Super jealous of that Marc Antony and Octavian. How could I forget to add the Augustus/Agrippa alligator?? That's one of my favorite coins...though nobody likes these like @dougsmit! He could start a sanctuary for gators with his set. Here's mine
    CollageMaker Plus_201845211725475.png
    Augustus withAgrippa

Roman Provincial
    Gaul, Nemausus. 27 BCE-
    CE 14 Æ dupondius CE 10-
    14. IMP DIVI F, P-P, back to
    back heads of Augustus and
    Agrippa / COL NEM,
    crocodile chained to palm
    branch, wreath above . RPC
    525; RIC 160.

David@PCC, TIF, zumbly and 4 others like this.
  16. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I'm going to be an unabashed thread hog and try to do all of these.

Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 10.24.40 PM.jpg
    Sextus Pompey, issued 42-38 BCE, Æ As, Sicilian mint. Obv: Laureate head of Janus with the features of Cn. Pompeius Magnus. MAGN (ligate) above Rev: Prow of galley to right, PIVS above and IMP below. 31mm, 16.4g.

449.jpg
    Mark Antony and Lepidus, military mint in Transalpine Gaul, May-Summer 43 BC. AR Quinarius (12mm, 1.71g, 6h). Emblems of the augurate: lituus, capis, and raven standing l. R/ Emblems of the pontificate: simpulum, aspergillum, securis, and apex.

Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 10.34.03 PM.jpg
    Mark Antony, denarius issued 32 BCE, Athens mint. Obv: ANTON AVG IMP III COS DES III III V R P C, bare head of Antony right. Rev: ANTONIVS AVG IMP III in 2 lines.

Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 10.36.20 PM.jpg
    Octavian/Augustus, denarius issued 32-29 BCE, Rome or Brundisium mint. Obv: Bare head right. Rev: CAESAR DIVI F, Pax standing, holding branch & cornucopiae.

Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 10.38.06 PM.jpg
    Agrippa (44-12 BCE, struck under Caligula 37-41 CE) Æ as, Rome. Obv: M AGRIPPA L F COS III, head left wearing rostral crown. Rev: Neptune standing facing, head left, naked except for cloak draped behind him & over both arms, holding small dolphin in right hand & vertical trident in left., SC around.

And here's a new one which may be associated with Agrippa:
    Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 10.42.38 PM.jpg
    Denarius, 12 B.C. uncertain Eastern mint. Obv: Bare head r., CAESAR, oak-wreath around. Rv. Large candelabrum adorned with rams' heads and surmounted by an annulet and pellet—lunar symbols within a floral wreath decorated with two bucraniums and two pateras.
    -- The reverse type has a funereal theme, and this may have been issued upon Agrippa's death, with the obverse showing the new heir, Gaius Caesar. (It's controversial, though.)

David@PCC, TIF, Bing and 5 others like this.
  17. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Just want to hitch on to this pretty recent thread with my new acquisition, that made me mighty happy, because of the fine portrait (and the reverse!). It is more Roman than all other coin portraits I have. One of the most talented generals in the history of Rome, Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa, a coin shown several times in this thread, but isn't this a beauty.

This is an AE as of Caligula (37-41) in honor of his grandfather Agrippa (died in 12 BC). Obv. Head of Agrippa left, wearing rostral crown. M AGRIPPA COS III. Rev. Neptune standing, holding dolphin & trident, S C on either side. Yellowish metal, 25 mm, 14.50 gr.

2119 Agrippa.jpg

By the way, is COS III the third consulship of Caligula (= 41 AD) or that of Agrippa (27 BC)?

Cucumbor, Andres2, Bing and 4 others like this.
  18. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I think it refers to the fact (?) that Agrippa held the consulship three times.

And yes, that is a fantastic portrait, very appealing style!!

Pellinore and Ryro like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted