Featured OTD: Pompey the great gets that magnificent hair of his cut on the shores of Egypt

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

One of the greatest generals in Roman history, many say greatest general until Caesar came along (though Marius will always be my fav) Pompey the great, killed on the orders of a boy Pharaoh, in front of his family, while seeking asylum in Egypt.
    77D46CB9-DA44-4FA8-BABD-AFA09BD9F5CC.jpeg
    Of course everyone knows the story of Julius crying looking at his ex son in law/rival/triumvir's head. After the hard fought battles between Pompey and Caesar could Julius have let "the great one" live?
    With Caesar's history of forgiveness I believe he was planning on keeping the wanna be Alexander the great around.
    But how different would Roman history be if Pompey had lived and gone back to Rome with JC?
    A6009857-DF16-4B6F-92CB-BCE602039AD3.jpeg
    (Caesar contemplating the head of Pompey)

My other question is around the "indecisiveness" Pompey exhibited in his war with Caesar. This wasn't Pompey's first rodeo. He had been leading armies to spectacular victories for years. And what, due to him growing long in the tooth doing lots of baby making with Caesar's daughter (whom died in child birth), he can't decide what direction his larger army should take in a pinch? When Pompey was defeated at the the battle of Pharsalus in 48 BC it paved the way for another all time great Caesar quote, "My enemies would have won today if they were not led by a loser." Ouch! Burn.

9F4145D8-C300-4455-A71D-AAB02E4A015E.jpeg

For a bit more on the man here is a snip it from wiki on his rise:
    Gnaeus Pompey Magnus (Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus)[2] (Classical Latin: [ˈgnae̯.ʊs pɔmˈpɛj.jʊs ˈmaŋ.nʊs]; 29 September 106 BC – 28 September 48 BC),[1] usually known in English as Pompey /ˈpɒmpiː/ or Pompey the Great,[3]was a military and political leader of the late Roman Republic. He came from a wealthy Italian provincial background, and his father had been the first to establish the family among the Roman nobility. Pompey's immense success as a general while still very young enabled him to advance directly to his first consulship without meeting the normal requirements for office. His success as a military commander in Sulla's second civil warresulted in Sulla bestowing the cognomenMagnus, "the Great", upon him. His Roman adversaries insulted him as adulescentulus carnifex, "the teenage butcher", after his Sicilian campaign.[4] He was consul three times (twice with Crassus and once a consul without a partner) and celebrated three triumphs.

Pompey facing left his son Sextus (the man was clearly sex obsessed;)) facing right, this Janiform is my first and only, so far, featuring the likes of the great man

2110A85C-F6F6-4DF6-9E1E-A7216420D26A.png
    Sextus Pompey
    Ӕ As. Spain or Sicily, 45 BC. Laureate head of Janus, with the features of Cn. Pompeius Magnus; [MGN] above / Prow right; [PIVS] above, IMP below. Crawford 479/1; CPP I 671. 19.23g, 28mm,

Fine.
    Ex-Savoca

FE64E856-2361-4A93-849C-9B520A04FA67.png
    Julius Caesar
    P. Sepullius Macer - Venus Denarius,lifetime issue Feb-March 44 BC. Moneyer P. Sepullius Macer. Obv: CAESAR DICT PERPETVO legend with laureate and veiled head of Gaius Julius Caesar right. Rev: P SEPVLLIVS MACER legend with Venus standing left, holding Victory in right hand, and sceptre set on shield in left. 20mm, 3.18 grams. Crawford 480/13; Sydenham 1074; RSC 39; Sear 1414. Fine. Scarce. Ex-Savoca

Please post coins and stories to help me celebrate the life of a man who did so much so young that if he didn't lose to Caesar he might've been stabbed to death in the forum underneath a statue of Julius Caesar!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    Ancient Aussie, Ajax, Pavlos and 25 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Super writeup, @Ryro ! Great captures...Those Pompey asses are aleays hard to get in better conditions. And your Caesar Dict Perpetuo Lifetime is a really cool one to have. CONGRATS!

POMPEY

RImp Pompey 42-38 BC AE As Janus Prow Magnus S 1394 Cr 479-1.jpg
    RImp Pompey 42-38 BC AE As Janus Prow Magnus S 1394 Cr 479-1

Pompey's Signet Ring (Trophies of Battles won on 3 Continents)
    RR Faustus Cornelius Sulla 56 BCE AR Den Venus Signet Pompey S 386 Cr426-3.jpg
    RR Faustus Cornelius Sulla 56 BCE AR Den Venus Signet Pompey S 386 Cr426-3

4. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

Here are a few from my collection with portraits of Pompey Magnus

Sextus Pompey 511-3a NAC 2016.jpg
    Sextus Pompeius. Denarius, Sicily 37-36, AR (3.89g, 19.5mm, 3h).MAG·PIVS·IMP·ITER Head of Cn. Pompeius Magnus r.; behind jug and before, lituus. Rev. PRÆF Neptune standing l., foot on prow, between the brothers Anapias and Amphinomus, with their parents on their shoulders; in exergue, CLAS·E.T·ORÆ / MARIT·EX·S·C. Babelon Pompeia 27. C 17. Sydenham 1344. Sear Imperators 334. Woytek, Arma et Nummi p. 558. RBW 1785. Crawford 511/3a.

Provenance:

• Sternberg November 29-30, 1974 Lot 6;
    • Sothebys February 19th, 1969 Lot 2 (200 GBP sold to Spink);
    • Ars Classica Auction XIII June 27-29, 1928 Lot 982

Cnaeus Pompey and M Minatius Sabinus 470-1c Nomisma 2019.jpg

Cnaeus Pompey Junior and M. Minatius Sabinus. Denarius, Spain 46-45, AR (3.79g, 19.0mm, 3h). IMP (downwards) – CN MAGNVS (Upwards) Head of Cn. Pompeius Magnus r. Rev. PR·Q at l. Pompeian soldier leaning on spear with r. hand between the personification of two Spanish cities, the one on the l. wearing a short tunic with parazonium and turreted crown, holding caduceus with fillet and offering branch to Pompeian soldier; the one on the r., wearing stola and turreted crown, holding trophy over shoulder, crowns soldier with r. hand. In exergue, M·MINAT / SABI. Babelon Minatia 5 var and Pompeia 14 var. Sydenham 1038a. T. V. Buttrey, ANSMN IX, 1960, Reverse type C, example Syd 1038a 2.2 (this coin ex Hamburger & Ratto) and pl. VII, obv. 2, rev. g. Sear Imperators 50. Crawford 470/1c. Banti & Simonetti Vol. 1, Cnaevs Pompeivs Magnvs 36, p. 36 (this coin ex Hess-Leu March 1961).

Provenance:
    • Adolph Hess & Bank Leu Auction 17 Sammlung E.S.R. (Erich Von Schulthess-Rechberg) March 23, 1961 Lot 7;
    • Leo Hamburger Auction 95, May 10, 1932 Lot 310;
    • Rodolfo Ratto Auction January 23, 1924 (Dr. Bonazzi) Lot 1268

Sextus Pompey 483-2 NAC 2015.jpg

Sextus Pompeius and Q. Nasidius. AR Denarius, mint moving with Sextus Pompey in Sicily in 44-43 or 42-38, (3.83g, 19mm, 8h). NEPTVNI Bare head of Cn. Pompeius Magnus r.; before, trident and below, dolphin. Rev. Galley r. with billowing sail and bank of rowers moving; in upper l. field, star. In exergue, NASIDIVS. Babelon Pompeia 28 and Nasidia 1. C 20. Sydenham 1350. Sear Imperators 235. Woytek Arma et Nummi p. 558. RBW 1698. Crawford 483/2.

And here's a few photos I took with my iPhone at the Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek in Copenhagen of probably the finest known bust of Pompey. No question who it is when you compare the coins. Quite a museum if you're ever in the area.

IMG_2243.jpeg
    IMG_2241.jpeg IMG_2247.jpeg

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Sextus Pempey 1a.jpg
    SEXTUS POMPEY; GENS POMPEIA
    AE As
    OBVERSE: MAGN above laureate janiform head with features of Pompey the Great
    REVERSE: PIVS above, IMP below, prow of galley right
    Sicilian 43-36 BC
    22.8g, 31mm
    Syd 1044a, Cr479/1, Pompeia 20v, Cohen 16

6. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Sextus Pompey Ar Denarius 42-40 B.C. 511-c.jpg Obv Head of Pompey the Great right Rv. Neptune standing facing left between Catanean brothers CRI 334 Crawford 511/3a 3.80 grms 19 mm

7. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Good thread @Ryro!

Amazing Pompeius coins shown here, beautiful! Here is my humble specimen. Even though it is quite worn, i like that one can still see his typical 'hair crest'(?):
    01 Sextus Pompeius Magnus Pius.jpg

8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Excellent writeup! A humble example here as well, but one that I was very pleased to score because the bust of Pompey is fairly strong despite the wear, and it has all the figures on the reverse on-flan.

RR - Sextus Pompey Catanaean brothers 2622.jpg
    ROMAN IMPERATORS, Sextus Pompey
    AR Denarius. 3.35g, 18.6mm. Sicilian mint, circa 42-40 BC. Crawford 511/3a; RSC 17. O: MAG PIVS IMP ITER, head of Pompey the Great between jug (capis) left [and lituus right]. R: PRAEF CLAS ET ORAE / MARIT EX S C, Neptune, nude but for chlamys in the back, standing left, right foot set on prow of ship; he holds aplustre in his outstretched right hand; Anapias and Amphinomus (the Catanaean brothers) flanking him, bearing their parents on their shoulders.

9. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Great thread and writeup, with beautiful coins shown all around

[​IMG]
    Sextus Pompey, As - Sicily c.43-36 BC
    Head of Janus with features of Pompey the Great, MAGN above
    Prow of galley right, PIVS IMP in field
    16.57 gr
    Ref : HCRI # 336, RCV #1394, Cohen #16

[​IMG]
    Sextus Pompeius and Q. Nasidius, Denarius
    Mint moving with Sextus Pompeius, Sicily, 42-39 BC
    NEPTVNI, head of Pompey the great right, trident before head, dolphin below
    Q.NASIDIVS at exergue, galley sailing right, star in upper field
    3.92 gr
    Ref : HCRI # 235, RCV # 1390, Crawford # 483/2, Sydenham # 1350, Cohen # 20
    Ex Freeman & Sear, Ex Barry Feirstein collection (NAC auction # 42/279)
    Ex Roma Numismatics

Q

10. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I remember reading Lucan’s DE BELLO CIVILI / PHARSALIA for the first time because it treated in epic fashion the clash between Pompey and Caesar. I didn’t know that Lucan had been ordered to commit suicide by Nero before he finished it. So when I got to the end of the book and it just stopped, boy was I p*ssed. Anyway, if you want to see how the Romans were thinking about that Civil War just a century after, it makes a good read. Just don’t expect a big pay off.

Ryro likes this.
  11. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

This thread was recommended to be a Featured article, and I would have done the honors, but I note that there are some copyright watermarks in the second image.

@Ryro - if you can replace all the images with ones that are either public domain or your own work, and cite the sources, I'll be happy to feature this thread.

(I would imagine there are probably public domain versions of that old painting on Wikimedia Commons or elsewhere. You can do a Google Image search and set the filters for this- PM me if you need help with that.)

I have extend your editing privileges on the OP to give you time to do this, if you want to.

Roman Collector and Ryro like this.
  12. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Cool! Thanks @lordmarcovan. I've removed the previous image and posted a wiki gallery image. The other images are from Wikipedia.
    As well, happy birthday Pompey! That's right, killed the day before his birthday. No cake for the great one.

Roman Collector and lordmarcovan like this.
  13. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

'Tis done. Check the homepage.

Roman Collector and Ryro like this.
  14. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Putting this one on my list for a retake. Still, you can see the characteristic Pompey features.

Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 4.12.30 PM.jpg
    In her pro-Caesar "Masters of Rome" series, Colleen McCullough says that Pompey only won (and only fought) battles with numerical superiority. So perhaps he wasn't such a great general after all. Which fits pretty well with him calling himself "Magnus." :D

15. Lolli

Lolli Active Member

01 Sextus Pompeius Magnus Pius.jpg @Limes your coin is a Slavey forgery, die match to the Slavey fake that was in B. P. Murphy´s collection (sold them at vauctions some years ago), he made good pictures of the Slavey fakes he bought from Slavey himslef. Murphy´s homepage ancients,info is dead where he has uploaded the Slavey pictures but some of his pictures has been uploaded to forgerynetwork. I will not upload his picture here but it can be accessed by those without forvm registration. BTW his Slavey collection was of course not complete because Slavey has made several new matrixes since then.

http://forgerynetwork.com/asset.aspx?id=ifZR3oXzKXc=

And another one

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-1650

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-6367

merged.jpg
    icm_fullxfull.153602581_18wo87tzsu684csgocw0.jpg
    Copyright for Slavey matrixes pictures blongs of course to Slavey ^^

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Plumbata, Alegandron and Carthago like this.
  16. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Carthago, Your three denarii are magnificent :jawdrop: & help beef-up this fascinating article :D. The denarius posted by Terence Cheesman has a stunning portrait too.

Carthago likes this.
  17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Nice post, Scooby!

Great coins, everyone :)

I have an as from a large group lot. It's not in great condition but it's still worth keeping. Needs a reshoot.

[​IMG]
    SEXTUS POMPEIUS MAGNUS, son of Pompey the Great
    Circa 43-36 BC, Sicilian mint?
    AE, 29 mm, 19.8 gm
    Obv: Laureate head of Janus with features of Pompeius Magnus
    Rev: Prow of galley right; [PIVS above, IMP below]
    Ref: Sydenham 1044?

18. Carthago

Lolli appears correct. The weak strike/excessive wear on the coin makes it difficult to recognize as a Slavey, but it clearly is. Good eye, Lolli.

I'm sorry about your coin, Limes. Hopefully, you bought it from a dealer who will take it back.

Plumbata likes this.
  19. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

@Lolli, @Carthago, thanks for your analyses. Darn, i totally missed that one. The wear doesn't suggest its a fake, and when comparing to fakes its difficuly to properly compare the coin with the fakes.
    It's a bummer when a coin turns out to be fake. But its better to know it now than not know it at all!

20. Carthago

@Limes, please don't feel too bad. I wouldn't have personally caught it without @Lolli pointing it and I'd like to think I'm pretty experienced with Imperatorial fakes (including ones I've discovered in my collection!). Most of us have had to deal with a fake from time to time. It happens, but we're better together as we learn.

Always learning!

Plumbata, Ryro and Alegandron like this.
  21. Plumbata

Plumbata Well-Known Member

Great thread as usual @Ryro! I own none yet unfortunately, but when the right juicy bronze as shows up I'll be all over it.

Another absolutely necessary item is a pretty piece of patinated Pompeian plumbum! :cool:

H4053-L144163232.jpg

An inscribed sling bullet used by the forces of Gnaeus Jr against Julius Caesar in Hispania. They are relatively common in the realm of inscribed sling bullets but the demand is understandably high due to their indisputably clear connection with a pivotal moment in history, so I've yet to locate one for a sane price. A definite "must-have" artifact.

Ya know, that coin is actually rather better than it appears. It would benefit greatly from a careful manual cleaning under magnification, especially the reverse which is deeply gunked up with dirt and some crusty copper salts. It clearly has a lot more detail hiding underneath the dirt, which if removed would allow the prow to really "pop" visually. I wouldn't quite call it a diamond in the rough, but it's at least a topaz in the rough! :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Ancient Aussie, Alegandron and Ryro like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted