Featured OTD: Caracalla's nurse could tell right away that he was bad to the throne

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

That's right! 1,831 years ago that absolute maniac is born.
    upload_2019-4-4_18-13-48.jpeg

Looking at him, who could've guessed such a mad man lay underneath the exterior of such a mad looking man???
    I know, I know. It's hard to judge someone nearly 2,000 years after the fact. But, as they say, class tells ever time. And his shown again and again.
    Attempts to kill father in front of troops, then changes mind.
    Kills own brother in momma Domna's arms (that's gonna leave scares for lifetimes).
    upload_2019-4-4_18-15-22.jpeg

And due to a few Greeks defacing a statue of him, he killed, stated by some, 10,000 Greeks!
    Enough about the good things he did. I joke. Calm down.
    He did the considerably amazing thing known as the "Edict of Caracalla". Wherein he gave all free men the rights of a Roman citizen.
    He was very known for the opulent baths that he built:

upload_2019-4-4_17-54-4.png

And the, maybe, even more amazing thing he did was die in 217 CE.

5237B634-0995-4D62-BDCF-80BD30105A5F.png

Caracalla

198-217 AD Silver Denarius (2.91 gm) Rome Mint Obv: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG ; Laureate draped bust right. Rev: FELICITAS AVGG ; Felicitas standing left, holding caduceus & cornucopia. RIC IV 127 ; RSC 64

A996E3C1-0EC0-4C60-A723-58A8997B3DC6.png

Caracalla

Thrace.Trajanopolis.
    AD198-217. Æ
    Obv: Caracalla
    Rev: Eros rising dolphin
    16mm., 2,99g.
    nearly very fine

B60BFF8C-C594-4405-BC8D-E133104C1E03.png

Caracalla, Caesar

196-198 Denarius (Silver, 19 mm, 2.92 g, 12 h), Laodicea, 198. M AVR ANTON CAES PONTIF Bare-headed, draped and cuirassed bust of Caracalla to right. Rev. SECVRITAS PERPETVA Securitas standing front, head left, holding inverted spear in left hand and resting with right on shield set on ground. BMC 459. Cohen 566. RIC 330. A scarce issue with an unusual bust type. Good very fine. Secret Saturlanlia gift

7B604DE4-2A85-45BB-8878-928A8C3281C5.png

Caracalla

Roman ProvincialMesopotamia. Rhesaena. AD 211-217. Bronze Æ AYTOK ANTWN, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right / III - C (retrograde), P - S, legionary vexillum. nearly very fine Castelin 9; BMC 2.

Some you love to hate (Caligula and Nero anyone) but then some just breed contempt...so please post those coins of all the different faces and phases of Caracalla!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Dude really looks like a thug in this portrait. It's the furrowed brow, I think.

[​IMG]
    Caracalla AD 198-217.
    Roman AR Denarius 3.37 g, 19.7 mm.
    Rome mint, AD 211.
    Obv: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT, laureate head, right.
    Rev: INDVLG FECVNDAE, Julia Domna as Indulgentia, wearing polos, seated left on cerule chair, extending right hand and holding scepter.
    Refs: RIC 214; BMCRE 73; RCV 6805.

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Caracalla

upload_2019-4-4_21-25-4.png
    RI Caracalla 198-217 AR Quinarius CE 213 1.3g 13.6mm Laureate - Victory Wreath Palm RIC IV 101 RSC 450 RARE

upload_2019-4-4_21-27-9.jpeg
    RI Caracalla 198-217 AR Denarius MONETA

5. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Worn reverse die on a very common coin, but I've yet to find a meaner looking portrait of the man

Caracalla denarius Liberalitas VIIII.jpg

Also recently sprung for one of his eponymous Antoninianii
    Caracalla antoninianus venvs genetrix.jpg

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Caracalla i AE
    Cute Caesar sestertius
    rm6580b00126alg.jpg

Young Augustus as
    rm6810bb0990.jpg

Teen as
    rm6820bb1037.jpg

Adult but unusually pleasant as = TRP XVIII coins are often much more mean looking than this.
    rm6860bb0747.jpg

Last year of reign as - TRP XX portraits are often less wild that those a year or two before.
    rm6865bb2527.jpg

7. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

As far as I know, he was the only emperor to be murdered while he was peeing. Actually, he was the ONLY person I know of who was murdered while peeing! Who can claim such an accolade? Denarius of wife Plautilla and denarius of his brother Geta represent two of his victims. 5wCXknY7W3Zqc9R2M9JeTTj46gEHm8.jpg
    9Eyefr2P3bDjwYa5Z8JftFF7yB4gkg.jpg 4360608.jpg 1870622l.jpg Ks893SBdkb9W4DNnc2PoLi37yX5qyR.jpg 3nDJyH7Gr4kCeW5JXRb8s2sSTbr6tQ.jpg 1552.jpg

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

9. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Geez, you didn't even wish him Happy Birthday!

Many years ago I got locked in the Baths of Caracalla in Rome after closing time. (Eventually climbed out, but it took a while!)

In chronological order...

as Caesar:
    Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 11.17.48 PM.jpg

198: Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 11.16.23 PM.jpg

212:
    Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 11.15.29 PM.jpg

215:
    Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 11.15.59 PM.jpg

10. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

A cute little lad by the time of his marriage to Plautilla (202)

[​IMG]

who, 8 years later looked like a determined strong young man/soldier (210)

[​IMG]

who, six more years after, would scare anyone still alive around him (216)

[​IMG]

Q

11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I'm a little late to the party, but I think these two Stevex6 Collection winners are good for any day of the year. :)

Caracalla - Antoninianus Oxen Biga.jpg
    CARACALLA
    Scarce. AR Antoninianus. 5.19g, 24mm. Rome mint, AD 215. RIC 245c; BMCRE 121. O: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG GERM, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right. R: P M TR P XVIII COS IIII P P, Luna in biga of oxen galloping left, fold of drapery billowing in semicircle around head.
    Ex Stevex6 Collection, CNG E-sale 297 (27 Feb 2013), lot 436; ex CNG E-sale 186 (16 Apr 2008) lot 197

Caracalla - x6 Den Adventvs Galley 2589.jpg
    CARACALLA
    AR Denarius. 3.17g, 18.5mm. Rome mint, AD 201-202. RIC IV 120. O: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, laureate and draped bust right. R: ADVENT AVGG, galley sailing left; signum and aquila at stern.
    Ex Stevex6 Collection, CNG E-Sale 352 (3 June 2015), lot 449; ex Dr. George Spradling Collection

12. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Excellent denarius @Roman Collector! If I saw someone with that face walking down the street I would bet dollars to pennies that he had a ThugLife tattoo!
    [​IMG]
    Oober cool Quinarius @Alegandron! I don't think I have seen one this late before. I certainly didn't think the quini was still being used at this point in history, led alone still being produced.
    That look is no joke @Finn235. 1 scurrrry looking dude.
    upload_2019-4-5_8-24-25.png [​IMG]

Love the Disneyified grouping of Caracalla @dougsmit! Judging from this grouping you would have thought that he was the type to carry a lil old ladies groceries across the street.
    Great point (and coins) @octavius! Just like a warrior, dying with his sword in hand. Not to nit pick but are we sure it was just #1? The description that I recall is that they stabbed him to death as he relieved himself by the roadside.
    Lovely portrait and toning @randygeki!
    @Severus Alexander you cannot just give us a taste of a story like that!!!! How the heck did you find yourself locked in the baths of Caracalla?? And you had to climb out?!?!?! This sounds like it should be a thread unto itself!
    And good point. Happy belated B-day Carrot-case-killa!
    LOVE the slippery slide into madness @Cucumbor. It reminds me of one of my favorite Adam Sandler albums...
    [​IMG]
    Golly @zumbly, with coins like those you can show up to the party whenever you darn well feel like it! Both have stunning reverses.

13. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I'm not at liberty to reveal the details of my career as a spy. :peeking: (Not much to tell, really... we just accidentally stayed past closing time!)

@Alegandron loves quinarii and has some quite a bit later than Caracalla. Here's my Diocletian (though according to some stories it's a denarius):
    Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 10.23.39 AM.jpg

14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

:D. Yuppers!!! Have several...here is a couple...

upload_2019-4-5_15-3-6.png
    RI Vespasian 69-79 CE AR Quinarius IMP CAESAR VESPASIAN AVG Victory seated wreath palm RIC 802 RARE

upload_2019-4-5_15-6-38.jpeg
    RI Probus 276-282 CE BI Quinarius 2.80g Cohen 768

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  15. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

16. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Caracalla 3.jpg
    CARACALLA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT, laureate head right
    REVERSE: P M TR P XIIII COS III P P, Pax running left holding branch & scepter
    Struck at Rome, 211 AD
    3.11g, 18mm
    RIC 184, RSC 190, BMC 4

17. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

I like the coins of Caracalla. I have a number but here are two that i like
    1. Sestertius Rv Mars stg. minted c. 211 A.D.
    2. Denarius Rv Moneta stg. minted 213 A.D. What i like about this coin is the rather fierce expression on the face of Caracalla caracallas2.jpg caracallad24.JPG

18. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Aw, gee, thanks for getting a certain George Thorogood song stuck in my brain for the rest of the morning! LOL

[​IMG]

19. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

20. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Some great coins here. My Caracalla pursuits have been somewhat frustrating - being very price sensitive, I have found it difficult to land a late, scowly portrait denarius - I know they are out there, I just can't seem to luck into a real bargain. That's what I get for being a cheapskate. I have several pre-beard youthful denarii - these come up cheap from time to time.

I did, however, land an AE with the later, scowly portrait - an As featuring Serapis. I was happy to get it, as bronzes from this era seem to be a bit scarce:

Caracalla - As Serapis Feb 19a (0).jpg

Caracalla Æ As
    (213 A.D.)
    Rome Mint

[ANTONIN]VS PIVS AVG BRIT, laureate head right / PM TRP XVI COS IIII [P P] S C Serapis standing front, head to left, raising right hand, holding scepter in left hand.
    RIC 505; BMC 257;
    (9.33 grams / 22 mm)

21. Factor

Factor Well-Known Member

Great coins everybody! I remember seeing somewhere an array of Caracalla obverses covering every year, from earliest issues as caesar to last year of his rule. It was great resource for dating provincial issues that otherwise very hard to place to a particular year. Unfortunately I cannot recall where I have seen it. If you guys know what I am talking about, can you please share a link? Thanks!

David Atherton likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted