OTD: 63 BCE Augustus, the final straw to break the republics back, is born. Post yours!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Sep 23, 2021.

1. IMP Shogun

IMP Shogun Well-Known Member

I haven’t seen one of these earlier As series with that many dots between the SC. Thanks for sharing.

Cucumbor likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

The only response I can make, apart from having "liked" your comment, is to thank you for providing an answer to a question that I had had for some time. I'm glad that I'm not the only person who's noticed this, and that it's not my imagination or a random product of the coins I happen to see most!

4. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Stunning LUCO AUGUSTI!:wideyed:
    I've read it is a maze on the reverse. Never but never heard of a Rodela shield:bookworm: thanks for sharing.
    Here's my version:
    share6000998357205389360.png

cmezner, Bing, Spaniard and 2 others like this.
  5. eparch

eparch Well-Known Member

Glad you like it. In ACIP, it is described as a round shield in English and escut rodo in Catalan - I suspect Rodelo (per the seller) is a corruption of this.

Ryro likes this.
  6. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Augustus' heir and successor:
    TiberiusDivusAugustusDenRSC 2.jpg
    "Tiberius Portrayed as Heir." Augustus, with Tiberius as Caesar. 27 BC-AD 14. AR Denarius (18mm; 3.49 gm; 12h). Lugdunum (Lyon) mint. Struck AD 13-14. Obv: CAESAR AVGVSTVS DIVI F PATER PATRIAE, laureate head right. Rev: TI • CAESAR • AVG • F • TR • POT • XV •, bare head of Tiberius right. RIC I 226; Lyon 88; RSC 2 (Tiberius and Augustus); BMCRE 507; BN 1682-4. Like Triton XI, Lot: 863.

IMP Shogun, Cucumbor, DonnaML and 6 others like this.
  7. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

8. "Sulla80": Yes, you are correct-Macrobius! I actually had to go to the University Library to look at it for myself-both quotes. Nowadays, it is probably online-I don't know. Great handle: "Sulla"!-"Don't pay attention to the screams outside". 'Just taking care of a few miscreants'

9. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Who can write a dissertation on the coin they assign a number to...yet ignore an answer to a question they posed? Odd - but we continue...

upload_2021-9-29_2-9-16.png
    AE unit of Augustus 27 BC. - 14 AD., Philippi, Macedonia - bare head of Augustus right, AVG behind / two colonists (or priests?) ploughing right with yoke of oxen (3.12 grams, 16/15 mm)

More fantastic Augustus please!!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  10. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

If you mean me, I didn't ignore your response. Look again. And cool it with the insults. I get tired of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted