OTD: 41 CE, Gaius Caligula dies BaBigula & the ascen-dunce-y of the world's greatest born loser

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Ryro

Ryro They call me the 13th Caesar Supporter

Some excellent responses and coins thus far!:pompous::cigar:
    Very jealous of all the AR Gaius coins:troll: and the fully silver dirt Claudius:shifty:
    Yqeu.gif
    Well played, sir:hilarious:
    @svessien IMHO you haven't been loud enough:singing:
    I though Doug or myself had the most bodacious booty on CT;):smuggrin: but that nemesis:kiss: BaBow:jawdrop:
    Here's my recent, thick thighed, Athena Claudius:
    Screenshot_20201117-202907_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png
    And though, @Andres2 and I have fourees (very cool father son plated, my man:cigar:) I haven't seen any barbarous imitations yet.
    Here's one that may have been minted by one of those 500 Germans Caligula kept around, due to their loyalty. If so, they could've done a better job... both on the coin and keeping their emperor alive:
    share2698183790048390431.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Supporter! Supporter

Perhaps one of Mike Tyson's ancestors was a guard at that time!? :D:p:jawdrop:

Sulla80 and Ryro like this.
  4. OutsiderSubtype

OutsiderSubtype Well-Known Member

Claudius looks rather rough on this one from Alexandria, but it's fun having Claudius, Messalina, and the kids all on one coin.

coin-outsider-collection-jQCWJG-stitched-basic-large.jpg

5. Ryro

LOL!
    EX8FJ3KWAAI-hr7.jpg

6. Limes

Limes Supporter! Supporter

There are good specimens available in auctions, sometimes for less. But for clarification purposes: I'm not able to even spend that on a coin (and not only because my wife would kill me...)!

when it comes to sestertii of the Julio Claudian dynasty, I'd take any decent example, portrait or not! I really enjoy this type of Caligula. It would pair up nicely with the sestertius of Tiberius, where he is seated on the obverse. Hopefully in the future I can grab a sestertius of Caligula.

jamesicus and Ryro like this.
  7. DonnaML

DonnaML Supporter! Supporter

I doubt I'll ever be able to afford denarii of either Caligula or Claudius, so I'm perfectly happy to settle for these, each of them an as:

Caligula/Vesta:

Caligula As, Vespa reverse COMBINED.jpg

Germanicus, minted under Caligula. I bought this a couple of months ago, but don't remember posting it before:

Germanicus (died 19 AD, father of Caligula [Gaius] & brother of Claudius), AE As, Memorial issue struck under Caligula, 40-41 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Bare head left, GERMANICVS CAESAR TI AVG F DIVI AVG N / Rev. Legend C CAESAR DIVI AVG PRON AVG P M TR P IIII P P around large S C in center. RIC I Caligula [Gaius] 50, Sear RCV I 1822. BMCRE 74 (Caligula), Cohen 4. 28 mm., 11.99 g., 6 h.

Germanicus jpg version.jpg

Agrippa, minted under Caligula:

Agrippa (d. 12 BCE), AE As, Memorial issue struck by Caligula, 37-41 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Head of Agrippa left, wearing rostral crown, M AGRIPPA L - F COS III / Rev. Neptune standing left, holding trident in left hand; dolphin resting left on his right forearm; S - C on either side of Neptune. RIC I Caligula [Gaius] 58, Sear RCV I 1812, Cohen Agrippa 3. 31 mm., 11.0 g.

Agrippa-Neptune As.jpg

Claudius/Libertas:

Claudius - Libertas Bronze As jpg version.jpg

8. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Here's my Alexandrian diobol of Claudius, featuring a hippopotamus on the reverse:
    Claudius Egypt diobol.jpg
    And an Alexandrian tetradrachm:
    Claudius Egypt tet.jpg

9. Beau1010

Beau1010 New Member

Question from a newbie? I am trying to complete a 12 Caesar set and I wonder if a portrait coin of Germanicus, minted during Caligula's rule "counts" for 1 of my 12 Caesars? Thanks for your help.

PS: Where can I find instructions to properly size and post a photo.

Beau

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

You can make a set anyway you wish; however, for me personally, Germanicus coins would not be included in a 12 Caesar set.

To upload a file, under you post are three options: Post Reply; Upload File; More Options. Use the "Upload File" and select the image you want to post. Then select full image. It's really quite simple. When I need to resize an image, I first go to JPEG Optimizer at http://www.jpeg-optimizer.com/. I resize my images to 800 pixels.

I hope this answers your questions.

11. Orielensis

Orielensis Supporter! Supporter

There are a lot of fantastic coin in this thread!

My main collecting areas are later, but I have the usual types of Caligula and Claudius:

Rom – Caligula, As, Vesta (neues Foto).png
    Caligula, Roman Empire, As, 37–38 AD, Rome mint. Obv: C CAESAR GERMANICVS PON M TR POT, bare-headed head left. Rev: VESTA, Vesta seated left holding patera and sceptre. S–C. 28 mm, 10.18 g. Ref: RIC I Gaius Caligula 38.

Rom – Claudius, As, Minerva.png
    Claudius, Roman Empire, as, 41–54 AD, Rome mint. Obv: [TI] CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG P M TR P IMP, bareheaded head of Claudius left. Rev; S–C, Minerva walking left, brandishing javelin and holding shield. 29mm, 10.35g. Ref: RIC I Claudius 100.

Alegandron, Limes, DonnaML and 4 others like this.
  12. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

My Claudius coin comes with a portrait of his dear fourth wife, Agrippa the Younger, who fed him a nice plate of poisonous mushrooms. She was such a dear. She was also the mother of Nero who had her killed. Reality is better than a soap opera.

Claudius & Agr All.jpg

Alegandron, Limes, DonnaML and 7 others like this.
  13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

johnmilton likes this.
  14. Ryro

Like @Bing said, wonderful coin! Beautiful portraits plus a fun ephing reverse!
    Excellent points about their bizarre and treacherous lifestyles.
    But don't forget, she was also his NIECE!
    [​IMG]

15. Beau1010

Beau1010 New Member

Thanks for your help

Ryro likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted