OTD: 41 CE, Gaius Caligula dies BaBigula & the ascen-dunce-y of the world's greatest born loser

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Some excellent responses and coins thus far!:pompous::cigar:
    Very jealous of all the AR Gaius coins:troll: and the fully silver dirt Claudius:shifty:
    Yqeu.gif
    Well played, sir:hilarious:
    @svessien IMHO you haven't been loud enough:singing:
    I though Doug or myself had the most bodacious booty on CT;):smuggrin: but that nemesis:kiss: BaBow:jawdrop:
    Here's my recent, thick thighed, Athena Claudius:
    Screenshot_20201117-202907_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png
    And though, @Andres2 and I have fourees (very cool father son plated, my man:cigar:) I haven't seen any barbarous imitations yet.
    Here's one that may have been minted by one of those 500 Germans Caligula kept around, due to their loyalty. If so, they could've done a better job... both on the coin and keeping their emperor alive:
    share2698183790048390431.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Perhaps one of Mike Tyson's ancestors was a guard at that time!? :D:p:jawdrop:

Sulla80 and Ryro like this.
  4. OutsiderSubtype

OutsiderSubtype Well-Known Member

Claudius looks rather rough on this one from Alexandria, but it's fun having Claudius, Messalina, and the kids all on one coin.

coin-outsider-collection-jQCWJG-stitched-basic-large.jpg

5. Ryro

LOL!
    EX8FJ3KWAAI-hr7.jpg

6. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

There are good specimens available in auctions, sometimes for less. But for clarification purposes: I'm not able to even spend that on a coin (and not only because my wife would kill me...)!

when it comes to sestertii of the Julio Claudian dynasty, I'd take any decent example, portrait or not! I really enjoy this type of Caligula. It would pair up nicely with the sestertius of Tiberius, where he is seated on the obverse. Hopefully in the future I can grab a sestertius of Caligula.

jamesicus and Ryro like this.
  7. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I doubt I'll ever be able to afford denarii of either Caligula or Claudius, so I'm perfectly happy to settle for these, each of them an as:

Caligula/Vesta:

Caligula As, Vespa reverse COMBINED.jpg

Germanicus, minted under Caligula. I bought this a couple of months ago, but don't remember posting it before:

Germanicus (died 19 AD, father of Caligula [Gaius] & brother of Claudius), AE As, Memorial issue struck under Caligula, 40-41 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Bare head left, GERMANICVS CAESAR TI AVG F DIVI AVG N / Rev. Legend C CAESAR DIVI AVG PRON AVG P M TR P IIII P P around large S C in center. RIC I Caligula [Gaius] 50, Sear RCV I 1822. BMCRE 74 (Caligula), Cohen 4. 28 mm., 11.99 g., 6 h.

Germanicus jpg version.jpg

Agrippa, minted under Caligula:

Agrippa (d. 12 BCE), AE As, Memorial issue struck by Caligula, 37-41 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Head of Agrippa left, wearing rostral crown, M AGRIPPA L - F COS III / Rev. Neptune standing left, holding trident in left hand; dolphin resting left on his right forearm; S - C on either side of Neptune. RIC I Caligula [Gaius] 58, Sear RCV I 1812, Cohen Agrippa 3. 31 mm., 11.0 g.

Agrippa-Neptune As.jpg

Claudius/Libertas:

Claudius - Libertas Bronze As jpg version.jpg

8. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Here's my Alexandrian diobol of Claudius, featuring a hippopotamus on the reverse:
    Claudius Egypt diobol.jpg
    And an Alexandrian tetradrachm:
    Claudius Egypt tet.jpg

9. Beau1010

Beau1010 New Member

Question from a newbie? I am trying to complete a 12 Caesar set and I wonder if a portrait coin of Germanicus, minted during Caligula's rule "counts" for 1 of my 12 Caesars? Thanks for your help.

PS: Where can I find instructions to properly size and post a photo.

Beau

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

You can make a set anyway you wish; however, for me personally, Germanicus coins would not be included in a 12 Caesar set.

To upload a file, under you post are three options: Post Reply; Upload File; More Options. Use the "Upload File" and select the image you want to post. Then select full image. It's really quite simple. When I need to resize an image, I first go to JPEG Optimizer at http://www.jpeg-optimizer.com/. I resize my images to 800 pixels.

I hope this answers your questions.

11. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

There are a lot of fantastic coin in this thread!

My main collecting areas are later, but I have the usual types of Caligula and Claudius:

Rom – Caligula, As, Vesta (neues Foto).png
    Caligula, Roman Empire, As, 37–38 AD, Rome mint. Obv: C CAESAR GERMANICVS PON M TR POT, bare-headed head left. Rev: VESTA, Vesta seated left holding patera and sceptre. S–C. 28 mm, 10.18 g. Ref: RIC I Gaius Caligula 38.

Rom – Claudius, As, Minerva.png
    Claudius, Roman Empire, as, 41–54 AD, Rome mint. Obv: [TI] CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG P M TR P IMP, bareheaded head of Claudius left. Rev; S–C, Minerva walking left, brandishing javelin and holding shield. 29mm, 10.35g. Ref: RIC I Claudius 100.

Alegandron, Limes, DonnaML and 4 others like this.
  12. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

My Claudius coin comes with a portrait of his dear fourth wife, Agrippa the Younger, who fed him a nice plate of poisonous mushrooms. She was such a dear. She was also the mother of Nero who had her killed. Reality is better than a soap opera.

Claudius & Agr All.jpg

Alegandron, Limes, DonnaML and 7 others like this.
  13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

johnmilton likes this.
  14. Ryro

Like @Bing said, wonderful coin! Beautiful portraits plus a fun ephing reverse!
    Excellent points about their bizarre and treacherous lifestyles.
    But don't forget, she was also his NIECE!
    [​IMG]

15. Beau1010

Beau1010 New Member

Thanks for your help

Ryro likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted