OTD: 197 CE Septimius pulls a double cross out from under that beard of his

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

For a guy with a near flawless beard, it should be no surprise that the man had many tricks up his sleeves and under that beard!
    [​IMG]

On this date, 1,822 years ago, Septimius Severus decisively defeated, fellow usurper, Clodius Albinus at the Battle of Lugdunum.

[​IMG]

Albinus had been made Caesar by Septimius the year before to placate the British bad boy whilst buying himself some time. Rather than do battle on 2 fronts Septimius offered Albinus the role as a way to keep him idle while going to battler with Pescennius Niger. Once Pescennius was defeated Severus made his oldest son, Marcus Aurelius Severus Antoninus Augustus, better known as Caracalla, Caesar (soon to follow would be the unfortunate Geta).

[​IMG]
    (Poor Geta damned from history...or at least this lovely family photoish)

Once this was announced the rouse was up. Clodius realized that he had just been made a patsy and readied himself to do battle.
    Septimius and his men must have been brimming with confidence coming off of their previous win went in for the kill and won a crushing victory!
    The battle generally referred to as the battle of Lugdunum (also battle of Lyon) was the last in securing Setpimius Severus, and his line (well for 1 generations anyways), as the true and sole ruler of the Roman empire!

upload_2019-2-19_11-8-18.png

Septimius Severus
    (193-211 AD). AR Denarius (19 mm, 3.20 g), Roma, 200 AD.
    Obv. SEVERVS AVG PART MAX, laureate head right.
    Rev. PM TR P VIII COS II PP, Victory advancing left, holding open wreath over shield set on low base.
    RIC 150. Nice portrait. Good very fine. Former: Auctiones GmbH

upload_2019-2-19_11-8-28.png

Clodius Albinus
    as Caesar (AD 193-195). AR denarius Rome, AD 193-194/5. D CL SEPT AL-BIN CAES, bare head of Clodius Albinus right / ROMAE AE-TERNAE, Roma seated left, holding palladium and scepter, shield at her side. RIC 11a. BMCRE 43.

Post those coins of these bad dudes or any that you deem worth sharing!

Andres2, randygeki, ominus1 and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Septimius Severus has a great beard Septimius Severus 8.jpg
    Septimius Severus 7.jpg

Andres2, randygeki, ominus1 and 9 others like this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

[​IMG]
    Clodius Albinus (193 - 195 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: D CL SEPT ALBIN CAES, bare head right.
    R: MINER PACIF COS II, Minerva standing front, head left, holding a spear and leaning on a shield.
    Rome Mint
    3.21g
    19mm
    RIC 7, RSC 48, RCV 6144, BMC 98

I always post a denarius of him, here is a provincial I rarely share.

[​IMG]
    Septimius Severus (193 - 211 A.D)
    Æ 27
    Anchialus, Thrace
    O: AY K L CEP CEYHROC PE, laureate, draped bust right.
    R: HG CT BABHAROY AGXIALEWN, Hygieia standing right, feeding serpent in arms, facing Asklepios standing left, resting on serpent-entwined staff.
    12.77g
    27mm
    Moushmov 2807; Varbanov 176 AMNG II 458

Andres2, randygeki, ominus1 and 10 others like this.
  5. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

In AD 208 SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS set out for Britannia accompanied by his sons CARACALLAand GETA (who fought along side him during the campaign) with the avowed aim of restoring the much damaged Hadrian's wall and subduing the warlike native tribes of northern Britain and Caledonia (Scotland). In AD 211 he became terminally ill during the campaign, and after proclaiming Victory over Britannia, he withdrew to his headquarters at Eboracum (York) where he died later that year

[​IMG][​IMG]
    RIC Vol. IV, SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS, Denarius, No. 335
    Obverse depiction: Septimius Severus,, Laureate head facing right
    Inscription clockwise from bottom: SEVERVS PIVS AVG BRIT
    Reverse depiction: Victory (Britannia?) seated left writing on shield

51306E9B-27C7-4949-B90B-77A4C36C10E5.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Andres2, randygeki, ominus1 and 11 others like this.
  6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Alas, poor Clodius Albinus.

Clodius Albinus Minerva denarius.jpg
    Clodius Albinus Minerva denarius Sulzer listing.JPG

Andres2, randygeki, ominus1 and 8 others like this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have a strong preference for the Septimius beards from the first few years of his reign when he is shown as a practical soldier rather than an oriental potentate with three fancy forks for which most people associate him. These come from all of the mints that struck for him in the early, civil war period.

Rome 193
    ri3720bb1347.jpg

'Emesa' 193
    rg0590bb1561.jpg

Alexandria ~194 denarius
    rf0220bb0621.jpg

another Alexandria 194 but this is a tetradrachm
    pa1050fd3421.jpg

Andres2, randygeki, ominus1 and 6 others like this.
  8. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Funnily enough, my only Albinus is an Augustus issue minted during his final stand in Lugdunum

Clodius albinus augustus genio lugdunum.jpg

Fascinating to me is the level of wear this managed to get before being cached away; it was probably still in circulation when Severus kicked the bucket; maybe even when Elagabalus or Alexander were in charge.

Imagine finding Confederate coinage in your change in the early 1900s, or Nazi coins on a trip to Germany in the 70s!

Andres2, randygeki, ominus1 and 8 others like this.
  9. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Septimius.jpg
    SEVERVS PIVS AVG
    Laureate head of Severus right

FVNDATOR PACIS
    Severus, togate standing left holding branch and scroll

Rome 201 AD
    3.6g

RIC IV: 265, Sear 6282, RSC 205

Septimius_Victory.jpg
    SEVERVS AVG PART MAX
    Laureate head of Severus right

PM TR P VIII COS II P P
    Victory hovering left holding open wreath with both hands over shield set on base

Rome 200 AD
    Sear 6333; RSC 454; RIC 150

ex-Calgary Coins

2017 Forum Best of Type Winner

Fantastic old cabinet toning, darker in hand

Andres2, randygeki, ominus1 and 5 others like this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have always been amazed at how few Roman coins were ordered out of circulation following the defeat of their issuer. As I understand it, Augustus disallowed the EID MAR coins of Brutus as Septimius Severus did the coins of Pescennius Niger. I do not have links discussing or confirming either of those orders. We hear that Caracalla ordered the destruction of portraits of Geta but the number of surviving coins do not suggest this was a very effective ban. Does anyone have links to discussions of such demonitizations from these or other reigns? I was once told that the continued circulation of defeated opponents served as a reminder that the winner defeated the losers but I have no link on that idea either.

Finn235 and Ryro like this.
  11. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Doug, I was hoping you would reply to this thread to add some of your Pescennius coins. However, I am very grateful that you added the coins that you did. That 1st Rome mint from 193 has got to have one of the most beautiful portraits of Septimius that I have seen! The detail in the eyes, forehead, nose and hair is simply amazing.
    In regards to the coins of the vanquished not being removed from circulation, I have always assumed that it is due to the fact that most of the coins that we see were so far removed from Rome and imperial intrigue that the commoners who had them either had no idea who was on them or didn't care to ruin their hard earned denarii. Though I do like the idea of emperor's leaving them in circulation as a way of reminding others of what happens when you challenge the man!

12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

This Virgin Islander seems to have been influenced by ol' Seppy:

FunBeard.jpg

I don't remember his name but I think he is a VI senator, or was when I took that picture :).

Doug, your beard is long enough to support some deluxe braids. Shall I send someone over? :D

While I love my Circus Maximum denarius, I'd be tempted to trade it for a nice Alexandrian tet:

[​IMG]
    Septimius Severus
    Rome, CE 206
    AR denarius, 3.41 gm, 20 mm, 12h
    Obv: SEVERVS PIVS AVG, laureate head right
    Rev: LAETITIA TEMPORVM, the spina of the Circus Maximus decorated as a ship facing left, with the turning posts at its prow and stern, a sail mounted on the central obelisk, and the spina's other monuments visible in between; above the ship, four quadrigas racing left; below, seven animals: an ostrich at left and a bear at right; between them a lion and a lioness chasing a wild ass and a panther attacking a bison
    Ref: RIC 274; BMC 343.
    ex Colosseo Collection

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My Pescennius hoard (all three) have been shown here recently but There are many early portraits of Septimius from the early period that are just a little 'different' in a good way. I don't pass them up when I see a style I like even if I have the reverse already.

All Rome mint 193:
    Resembles Didius Julianus
    ri3810bb0280.jpg

Straight hair on Septimius?
    ri3790bb1331.jpg ri4050b01076lg.JPG
    ri4010bb0561.jpg

I suppose I should try for a set of the dies used on 193 AD coins but I have no idea how many there are. They come in AE, too, but that is another post. I believe Curtis Clay did a die study of the AE and AV dies but not the AR since the number was so high. I have not seen it.
    rj4800b00078lgredo.jpg

Andres2, randygeki, ominus1 and 9 others like this.
  14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Braids, no. I am not all that into combs, styling, wax etc. either. Perhaps I am not a fashionista?

Ryro and Roman Collector like this.
  15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

:wideyed::eek:

When is duck hunting season?!

Oh please send me the full-sized version of that avatar (which I'm copying and pasting here for posterity because you'll probably to take it down any moment :D).

CT-DougDuckHat.jpg

Andres2, randygeki, ominus1 and 4 others like this.
  16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

What-thu-what on that avatar Mr. @dougsmit !?!?!?

I think it rivals @TIF ’s VI Senator boyfriend!

Back to the thread...

Sept Sev
    upload_2019-2-19_21-59-52.jpeg
    RI Septimus Severus 193-211 AR Denarius Genius Sacrificing

Clod Albi
    upload_2019-2-19_22-1-35.jpeg
    RI Clodius Albinus 193-197 CE AR Denarius ROMAE AETERNAE Roma seated

TIF, Johndakerftw, randygeki and 3 others like this.
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

How did you get so smart? You must be Always Learning!

Ryro, TIF and randygeki like this.
  18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This one really does not count because it is unofficial but the legend says Clodius Albinus but the face is Septimius. The reverse is Commodus.
    rd0130bb0160.jpg

See number 10 on the page below for an item showing the two being friendly on one coin. I would love to run across one of these someday but they are too rare for my blood. If I am meant to have one, it will be in a junk bin right under that winning lottery ticket. These come in several reverses.
    http://www.akropoliscoins.com/page3.html

Challenge: Show another coin with two human heads where the two are not related even by adoption or marriage.

Ryro, Johndakerftw, TIF and 3 others like this.
  19. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

he was very successful you have to give him that...i've had this lymes denarius for over 13 years as the only coin representing him, but tonite i bought a silver one... staying with local acceptable superstition i shall not show any pics till its with my camera..^^ septimius severus denarius 006.JPG septimius severus denarius 007.JPG

Ryro, Johndakerftw, TIF and 2 others like this.
  20. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

21. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Septimius Severus looks like a baby with a magnificent beard on this one:

Severus PART MAX PM TRP X COS III PP Denarius.jpg

Andres2, Ryro, Johndakerftw and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted