Otacillia Severa

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Tejas, Mar 4, 2021.

1. curtislclay

curtislclay Well-Known Member

The unpublished and extremely rare denomination explains the high price: a laureate denarius rather than the normal radiate antoninianus.

DonnaML, Tejas and Claudius_Gothicus like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Gosh, yes I'm blind. Thanks for pointing that out (also to Curtis Clay). Of course it is a denarius, which explains the price. I was completely fixed on the reverse.

4. Claudius_Gothicus

Claudius_Gothicus Well-Known Member

It's an oddity typical of the Antioch mint, where antoniniani of co-rulers are usually found with the reverse legend ending in AVG instead of AVGG; you can see it, for example, on coins of Philip I&II, Decius & his sons and Gallus & Volusian. Here's an example from my collection:
    AEQVITAS AVG (Antiochia).jpg
    Volusian (251-253), Antoninianus, Antioch mint.
    Obverse: IMP C C VIB VOLVSIANVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind;
    Reverse: AEQVITAS AVG, Aequitas standing left, holding scales and cornucopia. Three dots in exergue;
    RIC 215
    IM C V AF GAL VEND VOLVSIANO AVG - AEQVITAS AVGG.jpg
    Volusian (251-253), Antoninianus, Antioch mint.
    Obverse: IM C V AF GAL VEND VOLVSIANO AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind. Two dots beneath;
    Reverse: AEQVITAS AVGG, Aequitas standing left, holding scales and cornucopia;
    RIC -
    The first one is quite common, the second unpublished and possibly unique.

5. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Thanks for the explanation.
    I have a Philippus I Antoninian of Antioch with AEQVITAS AVGG. I will post a picture later. They seemed to have handled that rather indisciminately at the mint of Antioch.

Claudius_Gothicus likes this.
  6. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Here is the picture of the Philip I Arabs Antoninian from the mint of Antioch with the AEQVITAS AVGG reverse. I bought it from the same seller as all the other Ants in this thread. I think this is RIC 82

Screenshot 2021-03-09 at 19.46.46.png

7. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Here is another Antoninian from this group:

IMP M IVL PHILIPPVS AVG // SALVS AVG
    I have it down as RIC 46. I think that this reverse is scarce.

Screenshot 2021-03-09 at 19.52.26.png

Alegandron, Zebucatt, Bing and 4 others like this.
  8. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Apart from the Otacilia Ant at the beginning, this coin is one of the reasons why I bought the group of 20 coins. The portrait of Philip is stunning and I think the coin is kind of scarce. RIC 52

Screenshot 2021-03-09 at 20.14.40.png

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    Zebucatt, Bing, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  9. curtislclay

Another early coin, but not so scarce: 31 spec. in Dorchester, 8 spec. in Eauze.

With AVGG not AVG on rev. it would be rare: 2 spec. in Dorchester, 1 spec. in Eauze.

Tejas likes this.
  10. curtislclay

Virtus standing: Dorchester 54 spec., Eauze 16.

Tejas likes this.
  11. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Here is a Trebonianus Gallus from that group. Note the beautiful portrait. I think this is RIC 50 in great condition.

IMP CAE C VIB TREB GALLVS AVG //
    LIBERTAS PVBLICA

Screenshot 2021-03-09 at 20.20.28.png

12. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

This Philip I Arabs Antoninian is of a scarcer type. Or if it is not scarce it is at least popular, because it typically fetches quite high prices (RIC 66). I think this coin is the only numismatic reference to the Carpian people. (my pictures are not better than the sales pictures. I have real problems photographing silver coins)

IMP PHILIPPVS AVG // VICTORIA CARPICA

Screenshot 2021-03-09 at 21.06.01.png

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  13. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

I'm wondering a bit about this coin below
    IMP PHILIPPVS AVG // FELICITAS TEMP

It should be RIC 31, but the obverse legend is different. I could not find another exemplar with this obverse and reverse combination.
    Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 18.19.24.png

Claudius_Gothicus and Bing like this.
  14. Claudius_Gothicus

Claudius_Gothicus Well-Known Member

Künker sold one in 2011 (https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=959058), though they did describe it as previously unrecorded. That's the only one I've found.

15. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot, the type seems to be quite rare and not in RIC.

Draft saved Draft deleted