Otacilia Severa denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Andres2, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Pretty pleased with my new Otacilia denarius, nice portrait imho.

Otacilia Severa.jpg

She completes the Family:

husband:

P1130813.JPG

Their son:

P1130813 Philip I the younger2 (2).jpg

Please show your Otacilia coins, thanks

cmezner, Restitutor, DonnaML and 16 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Lovely example, @Andres2! I have one but for some reason, I've never posted it here before.

Otacilia Severa PVDICITIA AVG antoninianus.jpg
    Otacilia Severa, AD 244-249.
    Roman AR antoninianus, 4.53 g, 22.0 mm, 7 h.
    Rome, 4th officina, 4th emission of Philip I, AD 245.
    Obv: MARCIA OTACIL SEVERA AVG, Draped bust right, wearing stephane, set on crescent.
    Rev: PVDICITIA AVG, Pudicitia seated left, drawing veil and holding scepter.
    Refs: RIC 123c; RSC 53; RCV 9159; CRE 538.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

OTACILIA SEVERA.jpg
    OTACILIA SEVERA
    AR Antoninianus
    OBVERSE: OTACIL SEVERA AVG, diademed draped bust right on crescent
    REVERSE: PIETAS AVGVSTAE, Pietas standing left, holding box of perfumes
    Struck at Rome, 244-249 AD
    2.7g, 22mm
    RIC 130
    OTACILIA SEVERA 2.jpg
    OTACILIA SEVERA
    Æ Sestertius
    OBVERSE: MARCIA OTACILIA SEVERA AVG, diademed and draped bust right
    REVERSE: SAECVLARES AVGG, SC in ex, Hippopotamus standing right, head raised
    Struck at Rome, 248 AD
    18.6g, 30mm
    RIC 200a, Cohen 65
    ex Warren Esty

5. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Very nice example. Here’s mine with a Concordia reverse.
    E5E3AC66-946B-4C5E-82F1-F3CA4ABF68E0.jpeg
    Otacilia Severa, AR Antoninianus. M OTACIL SEVERA AVG, diademed, draped bust right on crescent / CONCORDIA AVGG, Concordia seated left with patera & cornucopiae. RIC 125c.

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Congrats, nice Denarius, @Andres2 ...

OTACILIA SEVERA

upload_2021-1-30_11-13-5.png
    RI Otacilia Severa 244-249 CE w-Philip I AR Ant Pietas Augustae incense RIC IV 43

HUSBAND

upload_2021-1-30_11-14-41.png
    RI Philip I 244-249 CE AR Ant radiate zoo Antelope SAECVLARES 1000 yr anniv Rome

SON

upload_2021-1-30_11-17-28.png
    RI Philip II 244-249 Nisibis Mesopotamia-farthest EAST Temple Tyche river god Mygdonius - sinister left

cmezner, Curtisimo, DonnaML and 10 others like this.
  7. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

@Andres2 , your OP coin is beautiful.

Here is a sestertius of Otacilia Severa:

OtaciliaSevera3sestCONCODRIAAVGG0294.jpg

30 mm. 19.92 grams.
    MARCIA OTACIL SEVERA ACG
    CONCORDIA AVGG
    Concordia seated left, holding patera and double cornucopia.
    SC is exergue.
    RIC 203a.

8. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

It's a nice example, but it is an antoninianus

9. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Andres2, Your Otacilia addition was an excellent choice, & a hefty one at 5.4 gm :D! My best coin of Otacilia is pictured below, & below that is a family group of coins once in the Michel Prieur collection.
    Prieur 383, McAlee 1096.jpg
    Philip I, OtaciliaSevera, Philip II.jpg

10. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

I also noticed in your description that she and her husband were regarded as the first Imperial Christians; but I really doubt that and even mentioned it in my thesis--

"According to Eusebius, the fourth century bishop of Caesarea, the first Christian emperor was Philip, who ruled from A. D. 244- 249.1 The anonymous author of the Origo Constantini also believed that Philip professed to be a Christian, albeit with ulterior motives. "This Constantine was the first Christian Emperor except for Philip (the Arab) who, or so it seems to me, became Christian simply in order that the thousandth year of Rome might be said to belong to Christ rather than to idols." The accounts of the Christian beliefs of Philip were probably just rumors originally started in an attempt to make the emperor look bad, as Christianity was not a very popular religion yet."

11. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Alegandron, Curtisimo, Bing and 3 others like this.
  12. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

You can! Go to the top right of your post (just to the left of "watch thread") and you'll se a drop-down menu titled "thread tools" ...

Capture.JPG

Then click "Edit Title." That's how to do it!

Alegandron, Andres2 and Cucumbor like this.
  13. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Great addition, and my family snapshot :

[​IMG]

Q

14. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I have read that Otacilia might have been a Christian and her husband marginally so. I believe there are 4th century sources writing well after the fact that engaged in this speculation about Phillip, namely Jerome in his Chronicon and Orosius' in his History Against the Pagans - both based on the earlier work of Eusebius. I think we can safely say that Phillip was probably not a Christian.

If interested, there is a wiki article on the topic here.

Andres2 likes this.
  15. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

16. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Andres2, That's a great example of a Philip II antoninianus with some historical importance. The coin represents the 3rd money giveaway by father & son. Many emperors did this to keep the army loyal & population happy :smuggrin:. Below are a few more Philip II Tets I posted before but will post again for this thread :happy:.

3988264-003, AK Collection.jpg 3988264-004, AK Collection.jpg 4278563-002, AK Collection.jpg 4885363-048, AK Collection.jpg 4884217-005, AK Collection.jpg

17. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Nice Otacilia coins.

My only coin struck under her name is not very well conserved, however I can't refuse a large bronze.

upload_2021-1-31_1-5-57.png

Cilicia, Tarsos. 30 mm 12 g.

18. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Some wonderful coins in this thread, including @Andres2's. I have lots of coins of her husband and son, but only two of Octacilia Severa herself:

Otacilia Severa (wife of Philip I) AR Antoninianus, 246-248 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Draped bust right, wearing stephane, on crescent, M OTACIL SEVERA AVG/ Rev. Concordia seated left holding patera and double cornucopiae, CONCORDIA AVGG. RIC IV-3 125(c), RSC IV-3 4, Sear RCV III 9147 (ill. p. 173). 22x25 mm., 4.5 g.

Otacilia Severa Antoninianus with Concordia reverse.jpg
    My favorite:

Otacilia Severa (wife of Philip I) AR antoninianus AD 248, Rome mint, 4th Officina. Obv. Draped bust right, wearing stephane, crescent behind shoulders, OTACIL SEVERA AVG/ Rev. Hippopotamus standing right, SAECVLARES AVGG; IIII in exergue. RIC IV-3 116(b), RSC IV-3 63, Sear RCV III 9160 (ill.). 23 mm., 4.52 g. (Games commemorating 1,000th anniversary of founding of Rome.)

Otacilia Severa hippo COMBINED IMAGE.jpg

randygeki, Andres2, cmezner and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted