Ostia Mint Coin of Constantine Help

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Brian Bucklan, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

I was going through some coins I put away many years ago for identification and came across this Constantine reduced follis type from Ostia. It's got a bit of a variation that I just can't seem to find. Here's the coin.

Constantine GENIO POP ROM Ostia.jpg

Obv: IMP C CONSTANTINVS PF AVG; Bust right
    Rev: GENIO POP ROM; Genius standing, head left, holding cornucopia and patera; tripod in left field. MOSTQ in exergue.

I can find some examples of this type without the tripod in the field but none with it. I know it's a minor variation but it's still kind of interesting. Would appreciate any help in identifying it properly.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I found this one of Licinius, translated for ease:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=200719

1.jpg
    Comment about this item: Seems of greatest rarity. Missing most reference works ..
    Comments: This type of follis, unpublished and lacking in modern reference works, is cited by O. Voetter, the great Austrian scholar (1841-1926) according to the Vienna Museum collection. J. Maurice (1859-1938) considered his work as doubtful, followed by CH V Sutherland in the ICN. Our copy seems perfectly authentic and completes our knowledge for the last issue of Ostia before its closure and transfer to Arles. This coin, perhaps cut to 1 / 84th of a pound, would correspond to the last issue before the reduction to 1 / 96th of a pound, which occurred the same year in 313.
    Historique: Licinius Ier Fut was proclaimed directly auguste à la suite de la conférence de Carnuntum on November 11 308. In 313, after rescinding him from Milan, he married the demigod of Constantin, Constantia. In 316, I read a French premiere who opposed Licinius to Constantin and who ended by the death of Valens and the signature of a peace between the two ages. On the 1st of April 317, three hundred trojan césars: Crispus, Constantin II et Licinius II. A seventh war opens up between Constantin et Licinius in 321 who ends up with the defiant defeat of Chrysopolis in 324 and the dismissal of Licinius who was exiled to Thessalonica before being subjected to the successive year.

4. Brian Bucklan

Thanks Ken. Never considered checking for a similar reverse of Licinius. It certainly adds much credence to this being an actual reverse type for Constantine.

5. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Justin Lee and Brian Bucklan like this.
  6. Brian Bucklan

@Victor_Clark : Thank you. That's it ... and I've bookmarked that site.

Draft saved Draft deleted