Original Wheat Rolls

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Pennyw1se, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Pennyw1se

Pennyw1se Member

Hi everyone. Boy the joke was on me. I was given these rolls and thought WOW! A bunch of wheaties at face value. Nah. A bunch of mixed years but these paper rolls were some type of lucky. I found the 1966 and 68 in there 2 rare find finds in one night.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Why do you think those years are rare?

What does "some type of lucky" mean?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  4. Pennyw1se

Pennyw1se Member

Well some type of lucky referred to the vintage coin roll packs that contained modern coins and not all Wheaties as the as the roll pack labels stated up opening and lucky reffering to finding a 66. Then when I found the 1968 I looked it up for errors as I do all modern coins especially with more emphasis to 80's and older. Well my fat thumb inadvertently hit the 1968 s . Well I started comparing and noticed that the markers where corresponding to each other then as I was taking images I realized that I was looking at the 68 S and not the D. kI Iwas hoping to get feedback as to the possibility that a mint mark error could be possible on a coin like this one. But first of all is it just me or do the markers correspond. I took another marker image and it corresponds as well at the 1 and 9. If you think they do as well then I need to get this coin attributed ASAP.
    I had gone to a coin dealer last month which was referred to me by a pcgs dealer well him I showed him my best coins and he was interested in purchasing but only if I had them certified first. He told me that there are counterfits in circulation. Well if you think that this 68 is real in comparison I'm also taking it to him and hear what he has to say about it since he can physically see it then go from there. Here is photo of another what I believe to be is a matching marker. Also I do recall whatching a video where at one time a bunch of coins where taken to the wrong mint and legitimately hit with another mint mark. Wishfull thinking but hoping it's the real deal.its the very last images on the 68S DDO- 002. I'll send this to you and get back to you with the exact coin verification number.

Attached Files:

5. paddyman98

6. Pennyw1se

Pennyw1se Member

Oh so then there is a possibility. Here's the refference
    So then there is a possibility. Here is the reference.

Attached Files:

7. Pennyw1se

Pennyw1se Member

In your opinion if it turns out to be a match. Should I get it attributed. Or is it impossible for that kind of error to happen? Meaning an error from one mint with a mintmark from another location. Should they match.

8. paddyman98

Variety.. Did you read my explanation?

Why get It attributed? It would cost you more to do that than what it is worth!

I actually don't see anything on your Cent.
    IMHO

Sorry. No more replies from me.. Good luck.

9. Pennyw1se

Pennyw1se Member

Well on a different note check out this cool double I found on Abe's hair.

Attached Files:

10. Pennyw1se

Pennyw1se Member

Once again I appreciate your taking a look. Your right that coin makes no sense. Thanks.

11. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Some unsolicited advice first (I apologize for this right out of the gate, but better safe-than-sorry). I would hold off selling anything to anyone at this point. Two things might happen: 1) you get taken advantage of 2) you unwittingly take advantage of someone else.

Explore with your fellow enthusiasts here first. Post your coins explaining to the group what you think you might have. Make sure you include crisp photos of the entire obverse and reverse and shots of what you would like us to comment on. Through this process, you'll gain insight on the process of attributing a coin.

12. Pennyw1se

Pennyw1se Member

Thank you for the advice. What do you think about this coin. One is a comparable to why looks to be a Doubled die on the rear of the buffalos leg. The first image is the possible doubling and the second is the compatible.

Attached Files:

13. White Ger. Shep. Lover

White Ger. Shep. Lover Well-Known Member

"You gotta believe". That mentality not only worked magic for the '69 New York Mets, but also for many others who could honestly incorporate it into their internal fiber. My words to our esteemed new friend here are simple.....keep looking, keep doing your homework with this subject and by all means keep believing, PennyW#1se. What I wouldn't give to share your passion.

Pennyw1se likes this.
  14. paddyman98

Huh?

Pennyw1se likes this.
  15. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

One thing I learned whilst perusing a coin shop was someone came in with a handful of "rare coins they found in pocket change."

The person behind the counter took a quick look and told them that they only bought certified coins.
    So the person who walked in then "understood" and walked out.

The odd thing, is if you looked at the display case they were at it was full of certified but mostly raw coins, hundreds of not thousands. And people had come in before *and* after that person selling coins.

If you peruse eBay you can find examples of people sending in "rare pocket change" or "rare Mint state finds" to TPGs for them just to be slabbed "details" (ie, damaged, cleaned, etc) and all that stuff. So on ebay you can pay 10 bucks for a bunch of slabbed coins where someone learned their lesson upon spending a few hundred dollars.

So, turning back now, I think coin dealers may use the term "I only buy certified coins" as a method to dispel of people who really haven't done their homework or have yet to come to the realization that all they have is pocket change. If you think of it, if they don't buy raw coins then why would they have so many to sell? Plus we can see their point in regards to what has come out of China has made coin collecting/dealing hazardous in relation to the accuracy of the copies.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Pennyw1se likes this.
  16. Pennyw1se

Pennyw1se Member

Thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted