Original Hobos??

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by OnEWB, Jul 17, 2016.

1. OnEWB

OnEWB Active Member

are these original

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Not for me, but the two out of the holder are crude enough that they least might be.

OnEWB likes this.
  4. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

What does "original" even mean in this context. Engraved from genuine coins? Done long ago or recently? Actually hand made or copies?

5. OnEWB

OnEWB Active Member

By original I do mean done a long time ago. I do mean hand made. And yes genuine. Hope this helps you.

Insider likes this.
  6. OnEWB

OnEWB Active Member

Can I have a moderator private message me.

7. Insider

:facepalm: :confused: :wacky: "It all depends on what "is" is." :rolleyes:

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Is it actually possible to know when one of these was made?

9. Insider

There is a Hobo Nickel group. Their members study, collect, write about and even make modern "hobo-style" pieces.

As with virtually anything else we collect, knowledge is power. Very often, a piece can be identified as the work of a particular "artist." Some of the pieces are even signed. Remember, the "original" contemporary pieces were done by hand, often with crude tools.

We'll probably see a reference book on these pieces in a few years. As with many things, the more you make the better you get and some fellows started out as better artists right from the start. I'll bet the book will even trace the development of "famous" hobo engravers through their work.

Again, I suggest you try the internet. I've got two things to look up (including this subject) from reading CT threads this morning! :bookworm:

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I see it as an art. I watch both young and old make these each year at Fun. Nice folks to talk with.

Draft saved Draft deleted