Original Chicken Ranch La Grange token

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by pool138, Jun 30, 2008.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Shoot. I was just hungry, and from the title of this thread, I thought I was gonna get some 'pointers' on where to go to slake that need to feed.

Wonder what's in the cupboard........:)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I have one but it looks different.
    Just thought all were a novelty.

4. uncle vet

uncle vet New Member

Duke, the one pictured above is the real item. Stamping on only one side.

5. pool138

pool138 Junior Member

Uncle Vet..I have to say you made my day when I read your input as I have been searching and wondering for some time about this topic. It amazes me the lack of knowledge about these tokens and I wonder if there will ever be a way to prove their authenticity. I have listened to everyones responses over the last few years in this thread and have to say that I was beginning to doubt that there were ever any real ones made myself. I'm still wondering what the monetary value may be and maybe someone one day will enlighten me to something to get that figured out. I would never sell it but if it's as rare as everyone is indicating it may be worth insuring. Anyways thanks for sharing your story. You have given me my first and only possible link as to its authenticity. I will continue to check back to this thread and who knows what other things we may learn as time goes on. I will definitely share anything I might find out.
    There was an article in the Houston Chronicle about 1 week ago that I think will interest you. It has to do with Edna Milton passing away last week but I think you would be interested in it as it ties your story of how you obtained your coin in with it. Here's the link: http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...f-infamous-Chicken-Ranch-has-died-3370871.php

6. uncle vet

uncle vet New Member

I saw that article about her death. The doctor and his wife are long gone too. Just wish I could remember her name. I'll have to check the business records of when I went and worked at her house. Maybe I can find it there.

7. pool138

pool138 Junior Member

I thought this might interest some people. I've had a short chat with a gentleman named Jayme Blaschke on Facebook who is in the process of writing a non-fiction book about the Chicken Ranch. A quick plug for Jayme: If you go to Facebook visit his page titled "Chicken Ranch Central" and click LIKE. There is a lot of access to other info on the Chicken Ranch on the page as well.
    Anway he has allowed me to post our short conversation we had on Facebook about the "Good For One Ride" token so here goes:

[h=6]John Gross
    [/h][h=6]I have an original Chicken Ranch token if you are interested in pics. Check this thread out in cointalk. It is only 2 pages long but I have posted the pics there and I think you'll find the thread interesting.[/h] John Gross oops here's the link: http://www.cointalk.com/t38794-2/ [​IMG] Original Chicken Ranch La Grange token - Page 2
    www.cointalk.com

[​IMG]

Chicken Ranch Central John, thanks for the link! I've got good news and bad news for you. The bad news first: It's not real. Check out TAMS Journal Oct. 1979, part 1 vol. 19 no. 5. Also, my interviews with Edna Milton confirmed the Chicken Ranch never minted tokens or the like. The good news: You've got the rarest of the faux tokens, minted not too long after the place closed, possibly even before the play opened on Broadway. Certainly before 1978, once the restaurant opened in Dallas they made a bunch using their logo, and these are most common on Ebay, etc.

The doctor's name was Guenther. I can't recall what his wife's name was at the moment. 20 hours ago · LikeUnlike

[​IMG] John Gross Yes someone did mention this in page 1 of the thread, same journal and all. However I question TAMS source for the information they give on this subject. But it is tough to question yours! Would you mind if I copied and pasted your response in our thread. I can also paste your FB link there as well. The thread has had around 8500 hits and some might find this interesting. 20 hours ago · LikeUnlike

[​IMG]

Chicken Ranch Central Be my guest, John! Part of what prompted me to do this book was to clarify a lot of confusion and misinformation regarding the Chicken Ranch. The Chicken Ranch was never the brothel's "official" name. Neither Edna, nor her predecessor, Jessie, trademarked the name, which is why the brothel in Nevada was able to start calling itself that shortly afterwards.

Some folks might want to argue the point, but I've found ZERO evidence of any Chicken Ranch mercendise appearing for sale prior to 1974. 10 hours ago · LikeUnlike

[​IMG] John Gross I appreciate that and thanks for your info! I'll look for the book. What date are you aiming at for release? It would look really nice sitting next to my coin! 28 minutes ago · LikeUnlike

[​IMG]

8. snapsalot

snapsalot Member

IMHO take that token to the chicken ranch and claim your ride :D

9. pool138

pool138 Junior Member

I just might do that if it was the early 70s and I didnt have a gf! lol

10. snapsalot

snapsalot Member

Could always donate your coin to me and let me barrow your time machine then. :D

11. Ktina

Ktina New Member

LOVE this thread. Was just given one of these coins and was looking up the history. Very interesting
    Mines looks to be a "fantasy" coin
    Stamped on both sides.

12. Jim Goodrich

Jim Goodrich New Member

I'll join the group as I also have a token. Just got in in a large bag of foreign coins. Looked on E bay and it is just like many on E bay on the front side. Two chickens below a heart with The chicken Ranch and La Grange Tex. on the front but the back is different than any I viewed on E bay. It says All night Check and has a large $3 on the back.
    Wonder if anyone can tell me iF this is real or just an earlier reproduction.

13. LuxUnit

LuxUnit Well-Known Member

What's the chicken ranch?

14. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

15. Firecracker82

Firecracker82 New Member

I have the same one. Did you ever find anything out about the authenticity of yours or if it holds any value among coin collectors?

16. Michael Keely

Michael Keely New Member

Do people ever read the WHOLE thread?

17. Amanduhhhlynn

Amanduhhhlynn New Member

I’m super late to the party, but was hoping someone might be able to help me here.

I have an old slot machine that was taken from Chicken Ranch when it was raided. Including paperwork authenticating it’s origin. There’s really nothing quite like it so it’s been hard finding a comp for its value!

18. Allison McCall

Allison McCall New Member

I have my grandfathers Chicken Ranch key chain to “Crib #2” . He went to TxA&M and played football and the team was rewarded if they won by a visit to the Chicken Ranch. He was at A&M in 1917-1921
    I haven’t seen any other brass keychain like my grandfathers....

19. Allison McCall

I have my grandfathers Chicken Ranch key chain to “Crib #2” . He went to TxA&M and played football and the team was rewarded if they won by a visit to the Chicken Ranch. He was at A&M in 1917-1921
    I haven’t seen any other brass keychain like my grandfathers....

Allison McCall

20. Allison McCall

Do you have a picture of it?

21. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I just picked this one up this evening. I know a necro thread but how come no really good pictures? I mean these are just with my cell phone and seem better than any others in this thread... Polish_20200612_213044327.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted