Original Bag of 1964 Kennedy Halves, Opened & Graded by NGC

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by iPen, Apr 24, 2020.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Interesting submission received by NGC. NGC's chairman himself opens it. Not sure about the handling of the coins but very neat.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

True.. I saw the video yesterday and I was wondering why he didn't wear gloves! He also handles that blade a bit clumsy. But it is a marvelous find and event!

4. I'm a bit suspicious about the label. In the early 70's my take home was just over $50. So every second week I took home a bag of cents from the Winters' Bank. Not once did the bag have LINCOLN on it or the tag. I tried to get bags of old Cents, but every once in a while I would get a bag of new ones when they had nothing else.

5. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I don't care so much about the FDI label, but I sure would have liked to have checked that bag for die varieties...

6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Publicity stunt. They will be sold in special labels, and the tv pitchmen jacking up the hype to charge 8 times more than the coins are worth.

Beanie baby coin IMHO.

8. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I'm reading alot about minor die varieties in my Saints book. If die varities are created by the normal wear-and-tear of a die, is it really something that should be of interest to us ?

We don't call brand new cars with scratches different models, right ?
    :D

Steve Bostwick likes this.
  9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Die varieties are not created by the normal wear and tear of the dies. Die states or die stages yes, die varieties no.

10. stldanceartist

I think saying that die varieties are caused by "normal wear and tear of a die" is a bit of an oversimplification and ignores many types of die varieties.

Comparing a die variety coin to a new car that is damaged isn't really an accurate metaphor - that would be more like a damaged coin. More appropriate (IMO) would be classic car collectors who prefer specific models with specific options.

Also, while you might not personally enjoy searching or collecting coins with die varieties, some do. Just like some will pay premiums for toned coins (even though others prefer coins without color.) Just a quick example, some will pay decent premiums for said die varieties - specific to Kennedy Half Dollars, a few years back I sold an MS65 1964 Kennedy DDO for $500 - it sure wasn't the grade, mintage, or PM content that brought the premium, it was the die variety. I have also sold an 1875 Seated Quarter with a misplaced date for 10x the normal coin's book value, and I traded a 1970 "No S" Proof Roosevelt Dime I found in an original proof set for an ounce of gold - so searching for them is definitely worth my time.

11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Agree with medoraman. 99% of these coins are $8, and they will be sold at $39.95.

YoloBagels likes this.
  12. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Meow feels that is wrong.

13. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I'm sure that NGC will research the bag and authenticity further, but at 2:30 Mark says somewhat nonchalantly, "Looks very official. I'm not saying that it's fake, though it's not very reassuring lol.

Also, as First Day of Release, I'd expect the die varieties to be somewhat limited to the first set of dies used (if these are documented somewhere). I expect the strikes to be good. Maybe some 1964 D Kennedy Proof-Like strikes, of which there are only 2! That's part of why Mark's blind reach in and handling of the coins made me a bit squeamish.

upload_2020-4-24_10-53-52.png

TexAg likes this.
  14. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Here is 1 of only 2 1964-D Kennedy Proof-Like halves graded by NGC. The 1964 Kennedy from Pennsylvania only has 4 proof-likes graded by NGC.

Images below are of the same coin, sold at 2 different times by Heritage.

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. stldanceartist

Yeah, when he did that I cringed for every time a coin dealer (who's supposed to know what they are doing) puts a stinking fingerprint on a BU or Proof coin I'm about to buy from them. #youshouldknowbetter

Steve Bostwick likes this.
  16. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

No reason to wear gloves but as far as the rest of it.........

17. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

I just got a popup website trying to sell these coins for $495 apiece... seriously???

baseball21 likes this.
  18. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

19. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Nothing like just causally reaching into a bag grabbing some and putting them in your palm. Same guy that wrote a hit piece on PCGS, just lol

YoloBagels likes this.
  20. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Yes. One of the most unfortunate aspects of this whole affair is that the bag went to Rick Tomaska. I wish he was only charging 8 times! He's a notorious huckster, and never misses an opportunity to promote the heck out of something - with an associated ridiculous premium. He apparently submitted them with a minimum grade of 65. Most of the bag didn't reach that, so they're just graded "Choice BU". You can see them on his website here: https://www.rarecollectiblestv.com/...ollar-choice-brilliant-uncirculated-fdoi.html

The ones that graded 65 are even worse. He's charging $1695 for them: https://www.rarecollectiblestv.com/1964-d-kennedy-half-dollar-ms65-fdoi.html

We discussed these in more depth on John Miltons recent Kennedy thread: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/an-introduction-to-the-kennedy-half-dollar-–-part-1.358261/

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    Ariette and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  21. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Hoky77 and YoloBagels like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted