Orielensis' Top 10 of 2020

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orielensis, Dec 12, 2020.

?

Which coins do you like best? Pick up to three.

Poll closed Jan 11, 2021.
  1. #1: Parhian Empire, Vologases IV tetradrachm

33.3%
  2. #2: Roman Republic, M. Sergius Silus denarius

44.4%
  3. #3: Roman Republic, Q. Caecilius Metellus Pius denarius

27.8%
  4. #4: Roman Empire, Septimius Severus denarius, Neptune reverse

27.8%
  5. #5: Roman Empire, Macrinus denarius, Jupiter reverse

50.0%
  6. #6: Great Mongols, Genghis Khan jital from Nimruz

16.7%
  7. #7: Medieval Europe, Saint Gall bracteate

13.9%
  8. #8: Medieval Europe, Fulda bracteate

16.7%
  9. #9: Crusader States, Henry II gros grand from Cyprus

22.2%
  10. #10: Crusader States. Knights of St. John gigliato from Rhodes

19.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

I always enjoy your posts and picks, Orielensis.

Excellent selection, my favourite being the Septimus with the great reverse.

+VGO.DVCKS and Orielensis like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

@Orielensis, Wow, and you get to pass the monument to Husserl every day! (...I began academic life majoring in philosophy; more religious Existentialism (especially Kierkegaard and Buber) than Phenomenology, but I did read some Heidegger, in a ridiculous English translation.) ...And do you do so on foot? From here, that's enough to tell me that you are back to living in a civilized country! Hearty congratulations!!!
    I had to pick your brakteat of St. Gall, from the first, 12th-century 'golden age' of the series. ...I like the tonsure!
    Second would have been your AE of Chingiz Khan. Next, your 13th-century brakteat of Fulda. It's a stunning example all around. Your emphasis on the toning is duly noted, but what hit me first was the breadth of the flan. That, in particular, was a big surprise. I never knew that flans like that persisted this far into the 13th century, continuing the 12th-century tradition (pun alert: ) 'in a big way.'
    Meanwhile, your observations on the scholarly and more broadly cultural legacies of both St. Gall and Fulda eloquently emphasizes how central the German part of the world was to the perpetuation of (shorthand alert: ) the Western cultural legacy during the early and 'High' middle ages. ...Apparently more for good than ill!!! :<}

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    Orielensis likes this.
  4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I voted for 1, 2 and 5, and though I don't collect Medievals, I very much enjoyed your write-ups on them. Excellent list!

Orielensis and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  5. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

A great list that is a credit to your eye for quality and interesting coins in a wide range of collecting areas, @Orielensis . My favorites are the Parthian tetradrachm, the M S Silus denarius and the Septimius / Neptune denarius. A close 4th was your Genghis Khan jital. Great history and write up on all coins. Thanks for sharing!

Orielensis likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted