Opions on EAGLE coin holders

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by The Virginian, Jul 14, 2008.

1. The Virginian

The Virginian Senior Member

For moderately valuable coins that I do not slab or buy in a slab and want to keep long term in my collection, I have been using white EAGLE coin holders. I use a custom labeling system that allows me to record the grade, type, date, color and base metal of each coin on each holder. They seem to seal as tight or tighter than staple 2x2s with a little nail polish placed in the sealing grooves. For me, they have worked well and the coins for me stay put in the holder very well if they are properly trimmed of excess sprue in the plastic moulding process and sealed with a little clear nail polish. No color changes have been observed in over 20 years of using them. What do you all think of them? Pros and cons. For cheaper coins I use staple 2x2s.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

Other than the benefits of the labeling system, why go through all the trouble?

Why not Air-tites or Kointains?

4. The Virginian

Sorry to all for not spelling "Opinions" correctly....urgh! As for Eagle holders I like the way they are more compact than air tites with mounting cards that are almost the size of a slab and kointains need to be put in flips or they can be lost. Eagle holders look very neat and still allows one to record information directly on the holder that looks professional. I guess it is just my experience and that I like the way they are still able to be stored in 2x2 plastic boxes and that they look nice when they are displayed.

5. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I like the intercept 2X2s easy to store , probably the best holders for your best non slabbed coins .
    rzage

6. rzage

Also Kointains in flips for good but less exspensive coins , easy to store , write what you want , safe .
    rzage

7. The Virginian

I have actually put some of the coins in Eagle holders in the Intercept Shield 2x2 boxes for long term storage.

8. The Virginian

I am less concerned with expense more the good looks, good protection, ease of labeling and storage. You are correct that it is more trouble to assemble Eagle holders and do the labeling, but to me that is part of the fun of the hobby.

9. rzage

Your coins are probably some of the best protected coins on Earth , good choice ,:smile:hatch::hammer:
    rzage PS just watch the moisture , do you use any moisture absorbers ?

10. The Virginian

rzage: In hot humid Virginia, it is a must for copper and silver to have some moisture control or you may get results similar to our fellow collectors living in Florida if you don't for about 3/4 of the year.

11. rzage

Believe it or not Illinois is one humid state for 1/2 the year , I,ve had trouble with copper & silver too , when I just used cardboard 2X2s , thank God for the newer stuff like interceptor , & airtites . Goodluck , sounds like you have things under control .
    rzage:smile:hatch::hammer:

12. The Virginian

rzage: About half the continental US is one large pall of humidity especially in the summer that gives the "copper heads" a fit, so good storage and preservation are paramount. I guess we are all just delaying the inevitable, that coins over time will tone. The Eagle holders are working well for me, but the old 2x2 were not bad if you kept things dry and in an environmentally controlled building such as your home. I have noticed that heavy smokers over the years sometimes contributed to their coins toning.

13. rzage

Yea I quit smoking a year ago & my coins miracalously stopped toning . LOL Wonder if the Intercept shields I'm now using had anything to do with it ?
    rzage

14. The Virginian

Could be, but I do know my uncle who had some original boxed early proof sets smoked cigars a lot and his proofs had some awesome toning.

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I've been a smoker for 41 years, my coins never toned. But that was because I stored them properly.

16. The Virginian

The coins if they were in a dry environment and not exposed to hunidity with the smoke and storued correctly, it probably wouldn't have much effect. So far the Eagle holders have worked well in keeping out environmental dangers to my coins and some of them have been in the same Eagle holders for over 23 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted