Opinions Wanted: Should you get coins slabbed and graded?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by asuphiphi, Jul 3, 2019.

1. asuphiphi

asuphiphi Active Member

Long time member, first time considering grading and slabbing.

I got a hold of a Pride of Two Nations set from the USM. I think they're cool personally. I was wondering if it's ever worth to slab something like that and if so, best organization to do it with? They're going to be NGC PF70 as far as I understand since they're from the mint, unopened. Down the road, if I wanted to sell (I got two sets), would buyers be more inclined due to slab?

Thank you in advance.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

NO guarantee they will be MS70. The mint has never said all of their coins iwll grade MS70. Pragmatically, most grade 69 or 70, but remember one of these coins are from the Canadian mint, so do not know why they grade.

If you grade them and get lucky, a set graded 70 is worth more than an ungraded set, but a set graded 69 is worth the same or less than an ungraded set and you are out the grading fee.

4. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

With gradeflation on the rise, even at the more reputable services, I'd say save the money.

dwhiz likes this.
  5. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

The vast majority grade at 69. Probably 10% of moderns, or less grade at 70. There is usually a significant premium for 70s, but it is a gamble that any coin from the mint will grade 70. All it takes is one tiny nick, and it is a 69, so the question is whether or not it is worth the gamble.

Paul M. and cpm9ball like this.
  6. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Getting them graded will maximize the money you are wasting by buying this dreck.

Maxfli and furryfrog02 like this.
  7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I used to keep up with the modern commemoratives, but I don't any more. It's just too expensive. As collector, I much prefer the original mint packaging with the Certificate of Authenticity. To me these coins in slabs are dull and sterile.

I find this more interesting than a pile of four slabs. This is the four piece Smithsonian set in the wooden box, which is actually rather scarce, not that anyone cares.

Smith box Exter.jpg Smith box Inter.jpg

The chances of sending in one set and getting even one MS or PR-70 are very low. That’s a lottery that high volume dealers play.

If you are going to pay this game, the PCGS MS or PR-70 means a lot more than the NGC version. The collectors of these things think that the PCGS registry is more prestigious, and that’s the main reason for paying big bucks for the 70 graded coins.

Legomaster1 and green18 like this.
  8. Morgandude11

Disagree strenuously. I have always favored NGC registry, over PCGS. Matter of personal taste—especially with toned coins, which look much nicer with the white background.

9. johnmilton

I like the layout of the NGC registry more, but when it comes to value of modern coins in MS and PR-70 grade holders, PCGS coins sell for a lot more. A few years ago, PCGS graded a modern cent MS-70. Some joker paid over $15,000 for it. That would never happen with an NGC coin in the same grade.

Paul M. likes this.
  10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

thV2BIK7X5.jpg
    MONKEY ROFL.gif

TheFinn, green18 and Morgandude11 like this.
  11. Morgandude11

There is always some fool who will drastically overpay for coins, no matter what. PCGS or NGC? I have seen the gullible pay thousands for raw, obviously AT coins, so P.T. Barnum was quite correct—there is a sucker born every minute.

12. johnmilton

In wish you were right @cpm9ball. My most valuable coin is in an NGC holder, but i’ve seen the lay of the land.

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I know how you must feel. Unfortunately, we do have more than our share of Kool-Aid drinkers here, and that doesn't help.

Chris

Morgandude11 likes this.
  14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I ordered OP's set from the mint this afternoon........my advice is to keep it in the original packaging. The majority of these coins grade in the neighborhood of '69, with a precious few capturing the lolly-pop of '70. Like John mentioned above, the mint packaging is far more interesting than the stale, sterile packaging of an NGC or PCGS slab.

Now @asuphiphi , my advice to you would be that if you really want it 'slabbed' at a particular grade, then buy it that way in the aftermarket. The prices for these (initially) in '69 or '70 are going to be huge and absurd but if you can wait a few months I assure you the prices will be more reasonable. I, myself, don't buy moderns in a slab. I feel that the practice is wasteful and absurd. Buying otherwise common coins to split hairs on a grading frenzy that bumps the price up a few notches.......dumb. The mint packaging is quite enough for me. But I do understand and respect the folks who do want collect these coins in slabbed condition. Just not for me and it's one mans opinion........

ddddd, Paul M. and johnmilton like this.
  15. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

This one came right from the mint set.

Don’t count on anything from the mint.

E2A17317-DD1A-4B9F-8C50-BD7C03BF7A75.png

16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It all depends on the coin, the grade it is and not what you want it to be and what your costs will be.

17. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I wouldn’t consider them to be collectible coins in the first place. It’s all bullion to me...

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Disagree, but opinions are like burros. Everyone has one.........

CoinCorgi likes this.
  19. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

It was a 2003. It later developed a carbon spot and was downgraded to 69.

Silver bullion can develop milk spots from the washing process used at the Mint, sometimes even years after originally struck. This means that there are many imperfect silver bullion coins in 70 holders.

20. johnmilton

Yep! That’s what can happen with “perfect.” I’ll stick with less than perfect in an old holder and generally avoid full red copper unless it’s part of a modern Proof set in the mint package.

Paul M. and Heavymetal like this.
  21. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

'

Remember when NGC graded hundreds of W cents MS 70 when PCGS had graded ) of them as of this post?

The NGC sell for thousands with hundreds of them graded that way so whats the issue?

Draft saved Draft deleted