Opinions Wanted: 1873 S Seated Half Arrows

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by slamster17, Sep 20, 2015.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

In your new pics, I still don't see anything that would keep it out of a slab. There is a scrape left of Liberty, but its not severe enough to prevent grading.

Based on the new pictures, I'll say this: if there are traces of luster showing in protected areas which don't show up in your pictures, I would say this has a good shot at 40.

slamster17 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

You guys might have convinced me to attempt to send this in...

4. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Finally got grades back on this and the others I sent in in Sept. This came back VF 35! Will post pics entombed when I get them back in hand. Can't complain. Also looks like mine is only 1 of 2 of these graded at VF35 which I think is kind of cool. 40 would have been quite nice though.

5. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

I know my first impressions are usual correct and the afterthoughts less so.

slamster17 likes this.
  6. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

Well, I along with a few others was able to accurately recognize the grade which is nice to know some of us can, at least, grade some coins accurately. Ha, ha!

slamster17 likes this.
  7. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Xf 40. Nice original skin from the secon set of pics. Current greysheet at xf is 325. I'd be tempted to soak it in acetone for a couple hours before you send it. I think that black crud would come off

slamster17 likes this.
  8. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

I just looked at the NGC pics and was wondering the same thing about the black crud you speak of...maybe if I ever decide to try again with it...this one is probably going in my type set never to come out again...

9. johnrpva

johnrpva Active Member

I think it is VF35 but likely would get a certified market grade of 40..the gap between vf20 and xf40 is well worth paying the approximate $50 in grading fees to lock in at least vf35...nice coin

slamster17 likes this.
  10. anderspud

anderspud Active Member

Very attractive. Cleaned or not does not seem like a problem. Too much wear to warrant an extra fine. VF 35 is about right.

11. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Um, he already had it graded....

Congratulations! You are now approximately $500 in street value richer. :)

Santinidollar and slamster17 like this.
  12. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Congrats on one great coin! looks to be a solid 40 at the least.Get it slabbed to keep it from getting damaged and help at sales time(when you get a "better"one....

13. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

If you have an Android phone download the PCGS Photograde app and compare to their photos. It may also be available on other platforms, I don't know.

14. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

The photograde app, as well as the price guide, are on iOs too. I have both on my ipod.

15. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

I love the photograde app...here it is in its new home! Pics are from NGC. Can't wait to get it back...

Attached Files:

Allan Dinegar and UnCommonCents like this.
  16. Allan Dinegar

Allan Dinegar Dreamedreamer

This is an 1893-CC that came from China. It weighs 25 grams, and feels real! Not to mention that its a pretty good looking fake! Scary stuff!

Attached Files:

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Too bad the 73 S half had arrows.

18. Allan Dinegar

Allan Dinegar Dreamedreamer

Their photos are much better. Your photos didn't do it justice. I thought it would have drawn an EF-40! Still very nice! Enjoy

Draft saved Draft deleted