Opinions sought

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jody526, Jun 5, 2007.

1. jody526

jody526 New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

jody,

We need to see the coin!

Frank

4. Jhonn

Jhonn Team Awesome

Mmm, I think pics are missing.

5. hamman88

hamman88 Spare some change, sir?

6. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

But the Sainsbury ones are not so common, they were given away at the opening of new store I believe :smile

:kewl:

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Some say Brockage, and that would seem to ecplain the reverse "PLURIBUS". Yes, I agree with a brockage.

My main question concerns the far right edge.

How was the rim upset, and how was the edge reeded? I don't think that is reeding, perhaps part of the design from the coin in the die about this one.

8. JeromeLS

JeromeLS Coin Fanatic

That is amazing !

Normal coin gets struck, then somehow goes back to stage 1.
    It gets offstruck with a brockage die.....

9. jody526

jody526 New Member

Sorry. Didn't mean to cause such confusion.

My general policy is to avoid posting to threads that I have no knowledge of.

10. Jhonn

Jhonn Team Awesome

Yes, that is a strange error. I don't know enough about errors in general to really comment, but that had to have been a fully struck, normal nickel that managed to go back through the minting process, hence the upset rim and everything, right? How'd you come across it, BTW?

11. jody526

jody526 New Member

Negative.
    The rims on blanks are upset prior to the designs being struck.

Here is an educational link on the minting process...

http://www.nvo.com/ecnewletter/howtheunitedstatesmintmakescoins/

Not mine.
    I ask for my own curiosity, and because it was the subject of another thread.

12. Treashunt

Jhonn & Jerome:

In no instance did anyone say that the coin had been re-struck a second time (by going thru the coining press a second time).
    I can make a guess that a blank planchet entered the die area and an already struck coin was not fully ejected.
    The first coin, already properly struck, lay between the die and the planchet. When the new planchet was struck, creating the coin shown, it was impressed with the already struck design from the not fully ejected coin.
    Thereby imparting the reversed design that you see in the picture.

And: Jody: If you only posted items that you had full knowledge about, then how would anyone learn?

In addition, the comments of others make me think about the minting process.
    Thanks for the posting and the picture.
    P.S. Can you show a picture of the reverse?

13. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

It's a partial brockage. An nickel was struck into the planchet represented by your coin. The "reeding" is damage from a coin counting or coin wrapping machine.

14. Treashunt

Well, Mike knows what he is talking about-- so, accept it.
    Thanks, Mike

15. jody526

jody526 New Member

Thank you.

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It appears that the coin was already struck when it received the second partial brockage strike. You can see the flattened distorted IN of IN GOD WE TRUST in the brockage area. Also this coin was not in the collar when it received the PB strike because that area is flattened and stretched out so the coin is not round. If it had received the PB at the same time that it received the initial strike it would have been down in the collar and would have stayed round.

Draft saved Draft deleted