Opinions please: 1902 penny

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Coin Person, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Lincoln Cents

Lincoln Cents Cents not pennies

If that were the case, can you get pictures of the edge?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coin Person

Coin Person New Member

It's not the actual penny that's thicker, just the imprints on it. Change anything?

Edit: I'm going to have to sign off for a bit, but I'll be back later. Thanks again.

4. Lincoln Cents

Lincoln Cents Cents not pennies

Yes, cents minted in 1968 and below are high relief (the image is thicker). This is normal.
    This is today's relief.
    Coins_Copper 035.jpg
    And this is the relief from 1968 and before (actually, the design is usually slightly modified to help increase the number of coins a die can strike, so all will be slightly different, but a major change was made in 1969, that makes it a lower relief. If compare a 1969 to your 1968, you will see the difference).
    Coins_Aad 012.jpg

5. Coin Person

Coin Person New Member

Lincoln Cents,

Thanks a bunch. :) You've been very helpful.

6. d12source

d12source New Member

I found this one walking my dog . Is it worth anything.

Attached Files:

tomfiggy likes this.
  7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Only if you can provide a video of it actually walking the dog.

Otherwise maybe a 10c. curio in that state

8. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

Why did the OP take all the pics down? I didn't even get to see them.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  9. Tony Williams

Tony Williams New Member

Not sure why On the 1 it shows doubling at the lower part of the one and on the first nine clear seperation

10. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Because he posted 4.5 years ago. :p

@d12source: Your coin is a neat find, but it's badly corroded and low grade. A few cents is the right ball park, and that's if you can even get anybody to buy it.

tomfiggy likes this.
  11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

And that was the last time he or she was seen Nov 2011.. even though the name is Coin Person.. I think they figured that coin collecting is not for them :wacky:

tomfiggy likes this.
  12. Brooke

Brooke New Member

I believe I found a 1902 penny with the Lincoln memorial. Can anyone help me out?

13. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Did you buy it from the guy in 2011?

14. yummyum

yummyum New Member

I had a 1902 Lincoln head penny with wheat on back . got dusting my grandmothers house. she said it was the year her mother was born. it looked to be in good shape the date very clear 1902.

15. yummyum

yummyum New Member

I had a 1902 Lincoln head penny with wheat on back. I was dusting my grandmothers house and found it . she said it was her mothers birth year.cant find it think my dad has it. going to clean my old closet out it might be in there.it was in good shape .the date showed good 1902.

16. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

The Lincoln memorial hadn't even been designed yet in 1902. Even if it had, the artwork that ended up becoming the design for the cent in 1959 did not travel back in time..........

USCoinCollector42 likes this.
  17. USCoinCollector42

USCoinCollector42 Well-Known Member

This is 100% impossible. As Jaelus noted, the designer of the lincoln cent, Victor D. Brenner, had not even created the design yet...

Without pictures of the coin, I can’t say for sure, but your coin is likely just a heavily damaged penny minted between 1909 and 1958.

18. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Oh, these are so funny to read. Took the OP long enough to understand the design on his cent wasn't even available for 57 years after he claimed. He still wanted a hypothetical value, well it would have been $0 because it would have been fake. LOL.

19. AnonymousCoinCollector

AnonymousCoinCollector Reintroduce silver coins to circulation!

No, you didn't.

Also, please do not post in old, dead threads. Make a new one.

Also, please never post a question about a rare coin you claim to have without also posting a picture of the coin.

20. James69bass

James69bass New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted