Opinions on this one please .

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by bcuda, Jan 27, 2020.

1. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

Looking at buying this one.
    The seller seems to be legit.
    But it just seems to be just to nice of a coin and it kinda scares me cause it is so nice.
    Post up your opinions please . If you don't want to leave a public opinion feel free to send me a message.

Thanks to everyone here for all the help you provide ! s-l1600d.png
    s-l1600c.png
    s-l1600e.png

panzerman, akeady and Exodus_gear like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Looks good to me, kinda thick, what is the denomination? I normally go by my gut feeling, and I like that one. I am not an ancient expert by any means.

bcuda likes this.
  4. Gecko99

Gecko99 New Member

I am not an ancient coin expert either, but from what I can tell from the pictures it does not look like the coin is a cast replica. Is the seller trying to sell it for too cheap a price? cause that may be an indicator that it may be fake if they are giving you a "good deal". But otherwise to me it looks like a beautiful specimen. I wish you the best of luck!!

bcuda likes this.
  5. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

The seller's price is right in line or maybe above the value of a real one.

6. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

A very inexpert opinion here: it is an attractive coin, but the color worries me. I only say this because eBay is loaded with fake Roman AE's with this kind of blue-green "patina". Most of them are from eastern Europe. Some have obvious stylistic problems that scream "fake" but others are rather well done.

I just thought I'd mention it.

bcuda and ominus1 like this.
  7. HaleiwaHI

HaleiwaHI Active Member

Since I am not a Roman coin collector, my first question would be: is the selling price a primary reason to doubt that it is legitimate? Or are there other factors that you would initially consider?

bcuda likes this.
  8. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..i'd call it a paduan..

bcuda likes this.
  9. Archeocultura

Archeocultura Well-Known Member

If this one is good, it'll be worth something in the region of $ 800 If the seller asks much less, it still could be good, but 'fallen from the back of a truck' if you grasp my meaning. I have cleaned many ancients, but this one looks good and professionally cleaned too. Why the edges remained crusty, I don't know.

Frans

rrdenarius and bcuda like this.
  10. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

I understand that your coin's pictures were taken with a certain angle, but to my old eyes it looks like a double die match with this one sold in 2012. Carefully look at the positions of the letters and tell me what you think.

7C79EF07-3BDF-4C9E-BF82-20731504D02B.jpeg 274DD458-2E38-45A6-8F32-D364756D0F68.jpeg
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1387321

bcuda, Marsyas Mike, Bing and 3 others like this.
  11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I think it's genuine, but possibly with smoothing in the fields. Who is the seller?

bcuda likes this.
  12. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

The Obverse letters look to be the same but the eyelids
    for example do not seem to match. The reverse letters are close but don't match to me for example the letter I of IMP is different also the head of Mars seems a little wider on one from the other.

The seller wants some pretty good money for this coin and I am
    just so scared to find out it is not real. I have really tried very
    hard to learn as much as possible about fake coins but I see so many
    fake coins that I am very hesitant to spend to me a large amount and
    possibly lose out.

I am not seeing any casting bubbles on the coin and it looks to be authentic
    I know there is a lot more expertise here than I will ever have so this is why I posted here asking for opinions.

Thank you everyone for your responses !

ominus1 likes this.
  13. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

Nothing obviously wrong in the photo. It’s not a Paduan.

Patina possibly enhanced, not tooled.

Obverse letters a bit soft but not necessarily a problem.

That being said, 19th century casts can almost be impossible to detect, particularly in a photo. they new how to make seem free, bubble free casts.

Barry Murphy

14. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

I assume this coin is an As. The edges look real but the surfaces of the rest of the coin look noticeably different in tone and smoothness. What kind of a guarantee is the seller offering? One thing I have discovered is that if you have doubts now about buying the coin you will have those nagging doubts about it for the rest of your life. If you send it away for authentication and it comes back unfavorably what will you do? Better yet, what will the seller do? Who pays that authentication fee? I make no claim to be an expert in authenticating ancients (and I have been snookered several times myself) especially from just an image off a screen. Most of us need to have such coins in hand to make an accurate determination or deal only with dealers we know quite well and whose return policy is favorable to the buyer. If you do purchase the coin and send it out for authentication would you please tell us what the result was?

bcuda likes this.
  15. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

Update on this Sestertius of Marcus Aurelius.
    This coin was on E-bay, when I did my search on E-bay I limited my search to only United States. I did this so if I had a problem with a the coin I would not have to worry about sending it back insured and tracking to another Country as it can be a bit pricey and a pain also.
    I made an offer and the seller accepted it , I then asked the seller to please insure it for the complete purchase and asked from where it would be shipped. Seller responded with an attitude saying it was all in the description. I then pointed out to the seller that is was not in the description and I received another response with attitude saying it was being shipped from Serbia (Ebay auction said United States) and asked me why it mattered to me. He also said that he had other offers on the coin and then canceled the sale.
    Thank you everyone for all your help on this one !

16. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..most probably the best that could happen to you...carry on the hunt!..there's coins in them there hills....:)

Orielensis, catadc and bcuda like this.
  17. HaleiwaHI

HaleiwaHI Active Member

Ebay is becoming the new BestBuy for price checking/comparison

18. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

19. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

20. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

21. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

I'll go out on a limb and suggest modern dies on ancient worn flans + a fake patina. Either way I don't like the way they look and would pass.

ominus1 and bcuda like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted