Opinions on this Nero Tet?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pishpash, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I considered bidding on this but decided against it. It is not in the forgerynetwork database and there don't seem to be many examples around. However, all the examples that I looked at were around 13g and this is under 10g. I wondered if I could see pearls on the obverse and I didn't like the legend on the reverse. The seller is not known for selling fakes. I did PM another CT member. I would just like your opinions.

nerotet.JPG

Deacon Ray likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Since I already opined on this one, I'll withhold comment until others chime in :)

Pishpash likes this.
  4. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I looked at this one. I have dealt with the seller. I passed on it. It looks soft. There appear to be bubbles on the obverse legend and near the edge. I didn't like the possible bubble and splitting of the reverse beading. For all those reasons I passed. I have no idea if I was correct but there are too many good coins out there to get spend time convincing myself anything different.
    Martin

Alegandron, Mikey Zee and Pishpash like this.
  5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I don't think it looks fake, but it doesn't have a lot going for it besides the portrait (which is quite nice).

Pishpash likes this.
  6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I can't really say fake or not. I saw it and my first thought was "pass." I go with those thoughts every time.

Pishpash likes this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I can't say anything for sure. I generally agree with Martin; however, if the price had been within my budget, I would have gone for it.

Pishpash likes this.
  8. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Like that Nero denarius I purchased and returned, my initial instinct is to pass on it regardless of whether it's genuine or not. There are simply too many 'issues' and flaws.

Pishpash likes this.
  9. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Looks alright to me, most of these Alexandrian Tets have some sort of surface problem and can look a bit tatty, it is a shame the reverse is not centered a bit better so more galley was showing. Thin flan by the look of it, but looks like good silver content (by photo).

Pishpash likes this.
  10. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

A picture speaks a thousand words - but in this case it doesn't. This is one of those coins I would need to see in hand, the photo isn't doing it any favours.

Pishpash likes this.
  11. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Definately worn & mushy, but I think its ok.
    I'd probably pass & have been looking for a decent Nero tet & denari. Would keep looking for better. My opinion or experience wouldn't get you a water cup though.

Pishpash likes this.
  12. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

This is a coin that has soft features & some metal flaws that I'm not sure about. I'd have to pass unless I could see it in-hand first or it was coming from a highly trusted seller or collection.

Draft saved Draft deleted