Opinions on this Carinus As? Tooled?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Harry G, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Harry G

Harry G Well-Known Member

Hi all! This just appeared on eBay by a well known seller (of genuine coins). It appears to be an antoninianus of Carinus, but with a laureate bust, making the most likely denomination an as. The diameter is 25mm, and no weight is in the listing.

carinus as.png

However, the surface looks weird to say the least. It is quite smooth and scratched, with a strange outline behind the bust. The legend looks almost flat to the background, with there being a lighter metal between the letters.

Also, the reverse "CLEMENTIA AVG" is unknown for Carinus.

Does it look tooled?

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

The portrait does not look right to me; but, hey, I'm only right when I'm not wrong!

Marsyas Mike, ominus1 and Harry G like this.
  4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I agree there is something funky about it, perhaps - tooling/smoothing? Carinus did strike the as denomination, though. Here's one from wildwinds:

[​IMG]

He also struck a number of large medallions....

Harry G likes this.
  5. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

What about a tooled Aurelian as ?

Q

6. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I don’t think it’s legit. Carinus doesn’t seem to use that obverse legend

Harry G likes this.
  7. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Screams Becker fake or similar to me...

Orielensis, Spaniard and Harry G like this.
  8. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

I don't have expertise with the technicalities (reverses, legends, denominations, etc), so I can't offer anything on that front. But, the neck and face look beyond smoothed to me (Compare them to the fields, which are also smoothed), which would at least fit the liberal definitions of "Tooled".

I remember wrestling with these types of evaluations before deciding to only purchase slabbed ancients. It severely limited my purchasing options which sucks, but I definitely don't miss the anxiety over potentially getting ripped off.

9. Harry G

Harry G Well-Known Member

Thanks for everyone's responses! The coin just sold for £165, so it seems someone just got burned...

10. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

I don't have an opinion regarding authenticity but a quick check at Wildwinds finds 21 entries with the obverse legend IMP CARINVS PF AVG.

Harry G likes this.
  11. hotwheelsearl

Whoops. Thanks foe the correction.

However, in the aggregate Gallienus and Aurelian are more likely to have that shortened legend. Considering the neckbeard I’m thinking a tooled Gallienus. What say you?

12. hotwheelsearl

There is strange spacing between the VS and PF, and PF and AVG.

there also appear to be some sort of abrasion in those odd spacing. My bet, with that being said, is still a tooled Gallienus - that’s a few letters more than CARINVS, and would explain the spaces and abrasions

Draft saved Draft deleted