Opinions on this Caracall Denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by kevin McGonigal, Jun 25, 2019.

1. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

I am hoping some members who are good at determining genuine from fake coins can take at look at this coin and render an opinion. its provenance is vague, bought from a dealer who bought it at a show. The coin is of a young Caracalla and is dated to ca. 203 AD(Roma holding victory and spear. PONT TRP VI) . I weighs in at exactly 3 grams, a bit light but apparently legitimate Caracalla denarii can weigh well under 3 grams so its weight is not a major concern. I have an image of the edge but it does not seem to have a seam but perhaps there is something else to look for. Its surface bothers me a bit. I am not certain what to look for in a cast or pressed coin but the surface seems off from other denarii I own. Since the alloy of a denarius of this period is just above 50% it may be that the coins wear differently from the 95-98 % percent silver of Republican Denarii I am more familiar with. I do not find this coin listed in the fake base of another forum's fraudulent coins. If you think the coin is not genuine (based on my mediocre pictures) IMG_0951[3599]den car obv.jpg IMG_0952[3597]den var rev.jpg IMG_0954[3595]den cae edge.jpg could you tell me what it is that you see that makes you think it is not. Thank you very much.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Looks fine to me. The metallic composition of these coins is different from Republican denarii and that's why it looks odd to you.

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I see nothing wrong, so I have to agree with @Roman Collector. Genuine is my opinion.

5. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

It looks good to me too, in my inexpert opinion.

Any Caracalla denarius that weighs 3 grams is "heavy" to me - especially one with wear. This opinion I base on my extensive collection of about five examples, so take that for what it's worth!

6. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

I agree with above. Looks fine to me as well.
    Add my four Caracalla denarii, with a mean weight of 2.26 :)

7. kevin McGonigal

Thanks for your help. One thing I did not point out that some may have missed are the striations marks, scratches, between 4 and 5 o'clock on the obverse. Do these in any way affect your opinion? Zealous overcleaning?

8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Looks authentic to me.

kevin McGonigal likes this.
  9. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I had noticed those and agree that they are a sign of over cleaning of a genuine ancient youthful Caracalla.

10. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I also see nothing wrong, just a coin with moderate wear and a few cleaning scratches.

11. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Better pics might help. It's out of focus. For me, hard to tell.

12. kevin McGonigal

I posted some other pictures on the site where you are selling coins.

13. kevin McGonigal

OK, fair enough. Here re some better, I hope pictures IMG_0972[3629]slr print rev.jpg IMG_0969[3621]SLR obv.jpg IMG_0973[3627]SLR print obv (2).jpg

14. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Looks good to me. It's real as far as I can tell. Perhaps a bit overcleaned at some point, but it's definitely the real deal.

Just based on the rim shot alone, I can 100% say your coins real.... and the fact that the surfaces on the obverse and reverse don't really have any of the telltale marks of a cast...well, that's just the icing on the cake.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  15. kevin McGonigal

Thanks for taking the time to look closely at the coin. I know it is not a rare or valuable coin (payed $35 for it) but lately I have seen so much written on the increasing number of really well made fakes that I fear I am becoming paranoid about having some in my collection. Thanks again.

Draft saved Draft deleted