Opinions on this barber dime.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Barber dime 94s, May 5, 2015.

1. Barber dime 94s

Barber dime 94s Active Member

image.jpg Hello, This is my first post. So I'm really not sure if I'm in the right forum to ask this question. I am thinking of purchasing this 1892p barber dime. I have bought several coins from this seller in the past. I've alway been happy with what I've received from him. The coin in question is suppost to be AU +\ Unc . The coin does look to be Atleast AU. He advised me that the coins are from an original set but out of 4 he sent to pcgs from the set 1 came back cleaned. So what do u guys/gals think of this coin ? So any help with a value / what you would pay for the coin and if you think it would grade out. Thank you very much for any help. Kevin.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

Look like at one time it was painted with nail polish and then some one try to remove the polish..:yuck:

4. Barber dime 94s

Really not sure what you mean by that .. Im looking for someone with a few more years experience than I have to give me a collectors view and opinion of the coin. Not some off the wall nonsense .

5. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

You can't see some of the clear nail polish still on the coin?

6. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Attitude alert! In any case, Liberty's face and neck look harshly cleaned, as evidenced by the horizontal strokes. In the past, the face probably had black goo, just like the lettering still does, and someone thought they would "improve" matters. Don't buy this one.

7. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

I'm pretty sure I can make out a clash on that coin. Nice. It does look to have been harshly cleaned at some point. How bout the reverse?

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

AU, nice die clash.

cleaned, but not sure about the harshly part

Paddy54 and eddiespin like this.
  9. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

I thought that line on it was some sort of error. Looks like AU details because of the little systematic lines that suggests cleaning.

10. Barber dime 94s

Thanks guys and yeah it does have a obverse and reverse die clash. As of my comment last night about off the wall nonsense. I took dancing fires comment as someone being a smart A** . I didn't know he was serious. My apologys .. The reverse of the coin is very Nicely toned. This coin may have been cleaned in the past. I really don't know as I look a anacs, NCG and other slabbed coins I have under a 10x loop. I can see small hair line over over the head and neck area of the liberty. As I see with really all circulated coins. So I'm really confused about what to do. What would you guys value this coin at.

11. Barber dime 94s

image.jpg image.jpg Here is the reverse of the 1892 dime and a pic of another coin from that collection that I had already purchased. I don't believe this coin has been cleaned or atleast I hope not. Only a stray hair line here and there that can only be seen under a 10x . Also the 1905 is a little lighter than the pictures show.

12. silentnviolent

The '05 looks like good honest wear and nothing more. I'd say XF40 or so.

13. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Its most likely. Glue

14. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

It looks to have been wiped, if and when someone tried removing the residue the wiped it dry.IMO

15. Barber dime 94s

Well the guy I purchased the 05 dime from is the same person that has the die clash 92. He had told me that 1 of 4 coins from the same set he sent in came back as cleaned. Thank you Slilentnviolent . I thought the 05 dime wasn't cleaned . As u also said I graded it as Ef40-45. The guy I buy these coins from is very honest with me he had told me the 1892 may have been whipped off at some point. Cynical you said it had maybe been whipped dry. What does that mean? Also if you guys where going to purchase that coin what would you say is a fair price. Thank all you guys so much for all the info.

16. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

The 1892 is an AU with strong die clash marks, from the reverse wreath, in the field around the portrait. It also has more hairlines than I would like on an AU, but might be okay.

eddiespin and doug5353 like this.
  17. Barber dime 94s

Thanks , Tom
    Do coins with die clashes have a higher value? The main reason I was planing to purchase this coin was I needed a fifth coin to fill the 5 minimum for anacs. I thought the coin was about AU 55 but don't wanna waste my time with it unless the die clashes will make it a better coin even though it had an old cleaning.

18. silentnviolent

I was probably too rough in saying "harshly cleaned" which would imply whizzing or brushing.

It's more of an "improper cleaning" as someone was too impatient to allow the solvent to do its thing, and wiped at the coin trying to remove the layer resulting in the hairlines seen.

Does the seller know it's a clash or are you picking a cherry?

It's a problem coin either way so start by pricing similar coins slabbed details improperly cleaned, and consider the clash if haggling comes into play.

19. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Certain series place a premium on specific die clashes and two that come to mind immediately are the Capped Bust half dollars and Morgan dollars. Please note that only specific examples of certain clashed dies are worth more in these series and that most other clashed dies from these series do not generate a premium. In contrast, most series collectors do not value a coin with a die clash any more than a similar example without a die clash. The Barber dime series has not historically generated interest for clashed dies.

ldhair likes this.
  20. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I like it. It's negotiable, however, for the reasons aforementioned.

21. silentnviolent

The reverse is clashed too. North of O in one, is base of bust. All along right field is his face(nose, lips, chin), between the two E's and the wreath. Very strong. I love it.

Draft saved Draft deleted