Opinions on this 1841-O Seated Dime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BigTee44, Apr 25, 2018.

1. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

Was hoping to get your opinion on this one. Was marked a XF40

IMG_5966.JPG IMG_5967.JPG IMG_5968.JPG IMG_5970.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Old cleaning, but "market-acceptable", in my opinion.

Handsome coin. I dunno if I'd quite call it XF40- I'd be more in the VF25-30 camp, personally. Due to the old cleaning and the minor rim cuts, it might or might not straight-grade at a TPG.

But it's a nice coin, regardless. Would look great in a Dansco 7070 or similar type set album.

Robert91791 likes this.
  4. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Old cleaning and a lot of scratches on the obverse. Details coin in my book.

5. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

cleaned, scratched, some PMD going on...XF details is what I'd call it.

6. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

7. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Not happy about the small rim dents obv & rev. Lite scratches in the fields. I wouldn't buy it as a straight VF due to those issues. Maybe try for a no stars issue of 1837-38 with the same problems but accurately graded?

8. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Vf35 rim damage, but beautiful

9. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I would think over graded at XF - I am in the VF details range.

Gallienus likes this.
  10. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I think technically with New Orleans love of using worn out dies it’s an xf 40. But with the rim damage and the scratches I see it either getting net graded down to 30 or more likely vf details damage

11. savitale

savitale Well-Known Member

Would come back VF details. It's very hard to find raw seated dimes that will straight grade now. Unlike Morgans and some other series these coins actually circulated for decades, and I suppose many, many examples have been "cleaned-up" over the years to make them look presentable.

I think it's pretty though. So put it in a Dansco album and enjoy it.

12. BigTee44

Finally sent this guy in....

NGC XF40

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

ditto

14. Gallienus

Wow straight XF40? I collect foreign so I'm used to seeing how very critical NGC is of foreign coins made in the 1600 and 1700's: even marking down several grades for mint induced flaws and errors. Usually smaller coins like 1/2 & 1 dimes are easier to protect so tend to get less bangs than big coins. Thus getting a clean XF-40 for a dime like this interesting.

15. BigTee44

Yet if you would have seen the back half of the order where the last 4/5 coins all went details. A Morgan that was cracked from a DMPL holder.

On a side note, PCGS straight graded this 41-O on eBay with more scratches, or at least heavier. DF4F2CE6-6ECF-4ED6-893A-890674FDE60C.png

16. savitale

savitale Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the grade! I might sell it and cash in.

17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Agree with all the VF-details people.
    I can't tell how deep the scratches are from the photo. But there's more than 1, and they are long.

18. BigTee44

I can't say that the scratches aren't there, which was the reason I waited so long to submit it. Yet in hand the scratches aren't as pronounced as they show in the images. I'll take more pictures when they arrive... HOPEFULLY this week

19. ed wood 654

ed wood 654 Grader & Entrepreneur /Aviation Executive

I would say VF on this, really nice coin.

Michael K likes this.
  20. Gallienus

Well maybe they have evidence Abe Lincoln had it when he was a young lawyer or something. I'm going to have to look in my box of stuff for old Lib Seated dimes I used to save when I was a kid. I'm sure I have some from the 1850's, maybe an 1853 or a 52-O or something. I recall one coin dealer trying to sell me an 1852-O around that grade for $35 or something. Maybe I bought it?

This was a while ago: one aunt told me of how they used to get indian cents in circulation and my other aunt got a beautiful AU 1899 or 98 Liberty $20 gold for face one day. Still has it. No bagmarks at all but is an AU.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  21. BigTee44

Phone pics

C3FE4C8A-9AB8-4B31-8773-98BC248C8BF1.jpeg 2589B134-77A3-4187-BD28-01704E73B439.jpeg

gbandy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted