opinions on the grade

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jdiablo30, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

Wow! I am really surprised by this grade. Obviously, I have some learning on how to accurately grade certain coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

You certainly did better than me at grading this coin. Ha, ha!

mikenoodle likes this.
  4. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

The pictures don't do this coin justice. The last picture I posted with only the PCGS slab you can see how red the coin is against my washed out pictures. Making it look like it has no luster and a stripped appearance.

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

In this instance, it is not unreasonable to avoid focusing on a single aspect and instead look at the big picture. The coin does not display "significant wear", and based solely upon the photos, the likelihood the diamonds were ever complete is slim to none. Think 1898-O Barber dimes and how examples are known displaying full luster, but incomplete LIBERTY; should the former be ignored in favor of the latter, relegating such a coin to VG/F? I realize this can be a somewhat debatable area, and believe Rick Snow even touched upon this in his grading pdf (with an example of a coin completely skipping EF, going straight from AU to VF due to strike deficiencies iirc), but is a good example of why it is wise to "read the coin".

Daniel Jones and Jdiablo30 like this.
  6. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

Yeah me!

Jdiablo30 likes this.
  7. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Now with the picture of it in the slab, I can see the color and luster. See how hard it is to grade from a photo???

Daniel Jones and Jdiablo30 like this.
  8. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

It is hard to grade from a bad photo( mine are,those were taken awhile ago. I have improved. Need to get my lighting down a bit better. Live and learn. Coin is much better in hand with a ton of red prevalent.

Attached Files:

9. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I am stunned by the grade. No way would I have thought that coin a high grade AU. From the pictures, it just looked like it had heavy marking and significant wear. Oh well, shows that I really don't know Copper coins, which I do not collect.

10. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I assumed that the luster was a photography issue, not a surface issue since I knew that the coin was already slabbed.

11. Derry

Derry Member

XF-45 at best

12. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Nice coin. I think I would send it to cac. It would not hurt.

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Send it to me. I'll photograph it for you. devil.gif

Beautiful piece.

Draft saved Draft deleted