Opinions on the grade and coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by delila1, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

MS66 is my guess.

4. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

Looks great if this was raw I would worry about it coming back "questionable colour" so a consideration if you are thinking of cracking

5. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Spark1951 and Razz like this.
  6. delila1

delila1 Undermedicated psychiatric patient

7. wxcoin

It is a nice example of a key date that I need but can't afford what the bidding will end up with. My guess is that it will go above the PCGS price guide value of $3500 since it is mostly red and very well struck. The seller, Mikesmountainvalues has been mentioned in other CT threads as one that may doctor coins to make them "market acceptable" to get a straight grade from NGC. The certification number tells me that it's been recently slabbed. So that makes me wonder how long it will retain its red color. That said, it still is a lovely coin but I personally wouldn't get into a bidding war to get it.

8. delila1

that seller has had a ton of super high-end Indians it looks like he bought a complete collection because he keeps throwing 66 and 67 grade around like they’re nothing meow

9. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

My guess is MS-65 RB due to the toning.

10. wxcoin

This has been going on for a long time. Another CT member had a post about a raw 1897 IHC variety with 1 in the neck that he sold him and a recent auction where it was in an NGC slab. The appearance of the coin looked different from when it was raw.

11. wxcoin

12. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Likely MS66, I won't comment on color because that has a hell of a lot to do with lighting and filters and not the coin itself, so it could be shown in the best possible light, like "rainbow toners" are, and look different in hand. I'd say it's nice, but $2000-$3500 nice..... hard to say, when I wouldn't even be in the market for one in that price range I max out at $50. LOL

13. PassthePuck

PassthePuck Well-Known Member

Well, I don't see one scratch on it. on either side. There's a little toning, but one would expect that with that age of a coin.

I see that it's minted in San Francisco, but that doesn't make it a proof coin. I think it's in excellent shape and I give it an MS68+ Maybe even an MS69!

14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Duh

wxcoin likes this.
  15. delila1

16. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

lol i a few minutes late but 65-66 RB was my guess :D

17. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

You gonna buy it ?

18. delila1

Honestly I’m really feeling it I’m kind of 50-50 but given the positive opinions of the coin talk world it pushes me more towards buy it. This guy who selling it has had so many pro 66+67 and high-grade MS queens been watching them and I regret almost everyone that I don’t get a bid over auction records but these things on eBay are going 1000 or 2000 past prior auction

19. wxcoin

My guess is that the high bid will be wel
    Even his lower grade MS (63-64) and proof IHCs are selling for, in my opinion, too much. I realize that the coin market is hot right now but I just can't see paying some of the prices that common mint state coins are going for right now; especially in his auctions. My guess is that the 1909-S IHC you posted will go north of $3500.

20. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

21. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted