Opinions on My Self-Designed Slides, Please

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JCro57, Jan 22, 2018.

1. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Hello, my friends. I am working on a self-made acrylic display (similar to Capital Plastics) to showcase my slabbed 1944 Henning nickels. (ICG slabbed, labeled, and even graded them but are marked as counterfeit. Photos of the slabs will be available on the 23rd.)

Below are some descriptors, including photos I took, explaining and highlighting the nickels I have and Henning's story in the form of slides, which I will print out to put inside my display.

Could you guys check out and offer feedback on the SLIDES before I go and print them and before I make the custom-made holder to place them in?

Please address any or all of the following: How does it look aesthetics-wise? How is my writing? Did I get any of the history or descriptions wrong? How is the design for each slide? My use of photos and descriptions? Some of the corny titles for the slides? Anythinging else? (The newspaper articles I referenced will be cited upon completion.) Would love any honest feedback! Thanks. Screenshot_2018-01-22-12-50-59.png Screenshot_2018-01-22-12-50-55.png Screenshot_2018-01-22-12-50-51.png Screenshot_2018-01-22-12-50-47.png Screenshot_2018-01-22-12-50-43.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Nice write-up. I think the centered text makes it a bit difficult to read compared to left-justified text. Content-wise, it's informative.

But, do you have an example of a fake counterfeit?? Although such a thing exists and Henning nickels may be confused with other fakes, "genuine counterfeits" sounds like an oxymoron. Maybe use a different term like "die markers".

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    LaCointessa and JCro57 like this.
  4. JCro57

I have heard of fake Hennings (as odd as that sounds). I have even seen one. In fact, a woman on eBay was trying to sell a fake Henning but I told her it was obvious someone tried to rub out the mintmark, which showed through slightly.

5. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I see that a few are on eBay and are selling for a few $$.

I guess such a thing would spark interest from counterfeiters.

JCro57 likes this.
  6. JCro57

Yes, but modern detection methods are better now for both new and old currency and coins. And it didn't work out for Henning at all.

7. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

So she was trying to sell a counterfeit counterfeit? :)

JCro57 likes this.
  8. JCro57

It was definitely a counterfeit Henning. I wrote to her it was not a true Henning and told her why and then she put a disclaimer on her listing that another member thinks it is a fake

9. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I like the layout. I agree the center justified text makes it more difficult to read. Can you left justify it and re-post so we can compare?

JCro57 likes this.
  10. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Nice write up. It was reported, if I remember correctly, that Henning ordered his blanks from the same manufacturer as the US Mint. It cost him 3 cents a piece for the blanks, so he actually only made less than 2 cents each after other cost.

JCro57 likes this.
  11. JCro57

I will redo it and left justify it since a few of you have asked. Thank you, my friends.

12. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

13. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

I like what you have done on this subject. Only one suggestion, eliminate the shadowing on the red arrows pointing to specific details. The shadow covers part of the detail you are showing.

JCro57 and LaCointessa like this.
  14. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

I like it as is. As someone else before me may have said :

"'tis a far, far better thing than I have ever done"....or something like that...lol

Draft saved Draft deleted