Opinions on Grades? 1952 S & 1946

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jim Johns, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

Hi guys I have two Washington Quarters I am planning to send at least one with a couple others in for grading soon. They're both pretty nice IMO, but to each is own. If they were yours, which one would you send out and do you have any opinions on grades? IMG_20160930_022330.jpg IMG_20160930_022358.jpg IMG_20160930_022245.jpg IMG_20160930_022303.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

Ms 65+ ms66

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk

4. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

On both or 65+ on the 1946 and 66 on the 52 S?

5. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

6. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I'd have to say 66 on the '46 and 65 on the '52-S.

7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The 1946 would need to see MS66 to justify the cost of grading; from these small images (so not to be taken as Gospel) it seems to have a shot. Nice cheek, only one mark on the neck. Reverse looks good although I'm a little concerned at what I see on the eagle's right (viewer's left) leg.

I see a lot of "business" on the cheek of the 1952-S, making me doubt it'd achieve a grade worthy of a slab. Reverse is quite nice aside that one mark in the wing, southeast of the U.

Mike Thorne and Jim Johns like this.
  8. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

I'm not sure if it's noticeable to most but do you think, from the pictures given here, that the 52 S could be an RPM FS-501? It looks like it could be and a big marker is the Die Break on the wing right there. It's certainly an RPM, I have to get some better pictures but just throwing out that thought to the mark on the wing under UNITED.

9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Images aren't really large enough to draw any conclusion. If what I'm seeing is the actual die crack, it *seems* to be running differently than the crack shown at Variety Vista. Better to await larger detail images than to either raise or dash false hopes. :)

10. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

I can see they're all pretty close so I'm assuming the graders will be around the same. Thanks a lot guys!
    I agree. I just caught it when I was posting these pictures last night and glanced at DoubledDie.com which is pretty general on the 501. I also saw a lot carrying the die crack as a marker. I can see in my pictures but it didn't upload to show the RPM. I will get some better pictures when I get a chance today to see what you think Dave thanks

11. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

Nice coins, but I don't think either qualifies for an MS67 grade. Common-date Washington quarters in any grade less than this, other than the 1955-D, are probably not worth the expense.

12. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

You're probably right and I completely respect that opinion, but I may chance it with the 1946 after comparing to some of the MS67's on HA. I've never seen an MS67 1946 in hand but it may get there with the in hand luster and toning on mine. If not I'll break even considering I technically got this one for free. You guys know a lot more and I'm not arguing a likely 66 on it, but there's still a decent premium on an MS66 with equal toning too.

Draft saved Draft deleted