Opinions on Grade, Value Canadian Dollars

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Pickin and Grinin, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

So, I am going to have the pleasure of going to the summer ANA in Denver next month. I am planning on bringing quite a few coins and having them slabbed.
    I was wondering? Should I just rinse these in Acetone first or leave them for a restoration service.
    What is your opinion of the Grade and Toning?
    First 1972 proof dollar IMG_3697.JPG IMG_3698.JPG
    I was wondering when a company conserves these, can they do it with out disturbing the toning?

Second 1973 bicentennial
    IMG_3693.JPG IMG_3692.JPG

Theodosius and Curtisimo like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I have no idea, @Pickin and Grinin. Nonetheless, I have to drop in and say that's one smart-looking horse!

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Couldn't pass it up for $22.
    Both of them are in there original holders.

5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I'll give you an anecdotal opinion if you'll take it. I have maybe 40 or 50 pounds of Canadian coins. I haven't weighed them, but that's what the bags feel like. Some of them were in my collection for 50 years, easy. Trust me, they don't look like those two. I'll say that's a good buy on that horse. I can say this, those scratches are from the die.

6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Personally I opt for an acetone bath at home and make no mention of such to the grader. However these are very nice looking but they aren't worth slabbing. Unless you use Anacs ....and even then these aren't in demand. I was buying PL Canadian dollars over a year ago for $9 each. Most world dealers I know would love to unload so e of their Canadian inventory .
    Personally I don't understand why the market is so soft as I also collect some Canadian series.

Theodosius and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  7. Pickin and Grinin

What looks like scratches are Die scratches, I have been able to expand on my small Canadian collection, bought a couple slabbed by ANACS last year.

8. Pickin and Grinin

The milk spots on the first one aren't that visible in hand, is it even worth the conservation fee? I can drive to ANACS in 35 minutes.

9. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Anacs has a special on right now 5 for 75 includes shipping .

10. Pickin and Grinin

I have a few Doubled Dies, and Varietys that I would like to get slabbed also,
    NGC and PCGS will be at the ANA do I need a membership, to have them graded at the Show?
    Thinking about 15 -20 Coins, and or medals.

11. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Nice Canadians @Pickin and Grinin. Here is my toned example :)
    IMG_3968.JPG
    I believe that acetone will only remove organic material and the thin layer of oxidation on silver we call toning is not organic and so shouldn't be harmed.

However if you're going to pay to have them conserved anyway I would just let the pros worry about the chemistry :)

Draft saved Draft deleted