Opinions on grade 1929 Norway 50 Ore

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by expat, Jul 25, 2021.

1. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

Do you care if I take a screen shot of this post and an earlier post for my use alone in future grading of Norwegian coins?

Stevearino likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Your approach to grading world coins is ABOUT the only way one can do it without the aid of numismatic grading standards from the country of origin, so good on you! Relying on U.S. (ANA) grading standards, which are some of the more accessible and detailed, is often the way to go. I mean, when you submit your world coins, the TPGs are basically applying their company's U.S. grading standards to them.

For my collecting focus, South Korea, there are no separate grading standards, at least ones that anyone in Korea commonly accepts. Korean numismatists just rely on the U.S. TPGs to provide grades. NGC has a submission center in Seoul, and most "big" coins in Korea are in NGC holders.

My question is: If no one is creating grading standards for a country's coins, whose responsibility is it? At this point, it seems that responsibility is actively being handed over to an American grading company.

It seems the "art and science" of grading is not a thing at all in Korea.

expat, Stevearino and buckeye73 like this.
  4. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Please, be my guest. I also have completed a chart combining three different "equivalents" for the Norwegian numerical system to the 1-70 system we use. I will post that tomorrow.

Steve

expat and buckeye73 like this.
  5. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

D14203FA-9CED-4EF7-8F80-C6A45709346D.jpeg Here it is: I would primarily use the Roschberg column 1st and Skanfil’s next. The one from the internet is a bit generous. D14203FA-9CED-4EF7-8F80-C6A45709346D.jpeg

mlov43, expat and buckeye73 like this.
  6. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

Steve, what an outstanding contribution to this thread. Thank you!

mlov43, expat and Stevearino like this.
  7. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Yes, my thanks also. I am a complete novice per these Norwegian coins I have inherited and the few I have purchased. Although those that I have bought were to fill gaps not for any grade.

buckeye73 and Stevearino like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted