Opinions on giving away a coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 4to2centBC, Nov 29, 2015.

1. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

I have a couple coins that I would like to give away. The first is the Trajan Decius I asked about identifying the other day.
    unk emp obv.jpg unk emp rev.jpg

I also have a Antoninus Pius (I think) that I can donate also (no pic yet)

I would like to give it to someone who is preferably a student, and preferably someone just getting into ancient coins. My question to those who have spent a long time on this board is..............who would you folks nominate? I have no idea, but maybe you do. If it is not a student in the end, that is fine, but the intent is for it to go to someone getting into the hobby of ancients.

Give two to the same person, or one coin to two separate people.........this is for you to decide for me. .

I would like someone to act as the clearing house for the transfer, since I do not want or need to know the location of the person/people that get them. I just want to make sure they go to someone who will appreciate them and maybe get them more into the hobby. They were given to me three years ago and I promised I would someday pass them along to a young person getting into the hobby. Time to do it now I believe. I have enjoyed them and it is time for someone else to.

Anyway, thank for reading this and thanks for any suggestions. They aren't expensive by any means but I want to keep my promise and I am sure whomever receives them will enjoy them as much as I have.

Regards

M

Volodya, Collect89, Mikey Zee and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

4. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

You passing them to someone after you've been given them previously is a nice and generous action.
    Congrats on that

Q

PS : I can't apply, not beeing a student anymore for 25 years now :(

Mikey Zee and Ancientnoob like this.
  5. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    Aidan_(), chrsmat71 and Markus1959 like this.
  6. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

How about talk with local college history professor? Give them to him and ask him to let you know about recipients.

7. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Good nominations - at least you know then the coins will be going to someone who is already interested in ancients, want to add to their collections ,and appreciate it.

Magnus Maximus likes this.
  8. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

9. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This points out a couple things which may just mean I'm not paying attention but I don't know who among us is a YN or 'student' of any level. I do know some of our members are very studious and have the advanced degrees to prove it but I do not know who might appreciate such coins. Some of our members have listed their ages on CT but many have not. Over the last few years rather few young people have posted enough to give us a clue on whether they might appreciate such a gesture other than getting something to resell.

Markus1959 likes this.
  11. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

12. 4to2centBC

Exactly. Thanks.

Markus1959 likes this.
  13. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Agree - great point!!!!

14. 4to2centBC

OK....just read through 5 PM's. Got it. Thanks everyone.

I have to pass on one of the people who contacted me (sorry), because I received numerous nominations for Aidan. It seemed so enthusiastic and quick a response.....TIF, among others, took seconds.....that Aidan gets the coins.

I also received an address, by mistake, but well......stuff happens. Whether he knows it or not, he is getting two coins. I only ask that he do the same. Someday in a year or 50 years, give them to someone else, or pass them down. Don't sell them, whatever monetary value they possess, they are worth far more when you give them away.

Everyone, thanks for your help.

Aidan, thanks for helping me keep a promise. Give me a few days to get them out. I am lazy with the mail.

Regards

M

stevex6, red_spork, Mikey Zee and 6 others like this.
  15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

you sir, are classy.

[​IMG]

hoth2, Mikey Zee, Aidan_() and 4 others like this.
  16. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Thank you Mark for the coins! I'm humbled that you all choose to nominate me for this generous gift. I'm officially blown away by the kindness of this community, and it's an honor to be apart of it.

Thanks,
    Aidan

Cucumbor, KIWITI, harris498 and 5 others like this.
  17. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Let me know when you want to give away the Bactrian elephant headdress coin.
    :D:)

4to2centBC, KIWITI and Ancientnoob like this.
  18. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted