Opinions on Capped Bust Half

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Scott J, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Scott J

Scott J Well-Known Member

Hi, relatively new collector here, falling deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole. I just wanted some opinions on this capped bust half. I won it for around $120. NGC says 125, PCGS says $150.
    Should've I held out for a better copy? (Limited $$though)
    On the reverse, look at the rim, there's design ( I don't know what it's called) all the way around except at the top. Is that normal?
    Those two big scratches only show up in high contrast light. I'll show the pic from Great Collections, you can't really see it in that pic, or just holding it in normal light.
    Basically, do you think I bought a bad example?
    Thanks.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Nice coin,yes capped bust are one of the few older U.S coins that actually have a lettered edge.

Scott J likes this.
  4. potty dollar 1878

5. Scott J

Thank you.
    Did you notice the design just inside the rim on the reverse? It seems to my untrained eye it's missing at the top and top left of the reverse.

6. potty dollar 1878

The rim is uneven on the reverse because well remember this coin was struck over 100 years ago;)very normal.

Scott J likes this.
  7. Scott J

Here's what I was talking about.
    [​IMG]

8. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Absolutely nothing wrong with this coin and not one thing to worry about the concerning "design".
    For the opinion grade, and based on the photos, you are made whole monetarily and it is a coin I would not hesitate to pay that much for, sight seen. I have seen much worse in higher opinion grades go for stupid money.
    Good choice and good buy. I could tell you more about the coin, but once you start doing your own research, you will be fascinated and hooked on bust halves. This coin was a perfect coin to start dabbling.

Scott J likes this.
  9. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

You are referring to the dentils. Coins in this era up to 1836 were struck in what are called open collars. Sometimes the blank planchet (or the die) would become mis-aligned and be struck off-center which makes the dentils on that side strike up weakly or not at all. Nothing unusual about your coin in this regard.

If you're going to collect coins, it helps to know something about them which will increase your pleasure and satisfaction.

Two recommended books:

The Red Book

and

From Mine to Mint by Roger Burdett

Roger's book will, among many other things, give you a primer on how coins were made and what things are called.

Welcome and Enjoy!

Scott J likes this.
  10. Scott J

Thanks, I appreciate the opinion!!

charley likes this.
  11. Scott J

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I will definitely check out the Burdett book.

12. charley

charley Well-Known Member

You are very welcome.

You had a couple of books suggested. I agree. I am a who cares facts kind of person. For instance, when this coin was made, J.Q. Adams was President, (and wow was that a fight getting him elected!) and Ricard Rush of Pennsylvania was the Secretary of the Treasury, a very interesting guy, to say the least. So, I day dream, did he hold your coin? Did Adams?
    Or did the Treasurer of the U.S. at the time...Tom Tucker of South Carolina, hold it? After all, old Tom served 27 years n that position. Think about that for a moment.

The point being, collecting bust coinage filled my head with this kind of stuff. It will last for a lifetime of enjoyment.

Scott J likes this.
  13. Scott J

Definitely a lot of food for thought. I feel the same way when I carry my pocket piece a 1900 Morgan, or an 1891 sometimes. I think about the turn if the century.

14. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

And if you can find one, took me a while but mine was delivered today as a matter of fact
    20210326_160039.jpg

Scott J likes this.
  15. Scott J

Neat looking book, I'm going to keep my eye out for a copy.

Draft saved Draft deleted