Opinions on a very unusual Ae of Carausius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Brian Bucklan, May 18, 2022.

1. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

I've had this coin for a while and just don't know what to make of it. It appears to "possibly" be a legitimate issue as the legends are perfectly legible and design looks ok, although it is a bit rough, however the design and legend do not match. Size is 23.2mm and 3.1gms. Here it is (not the greatest pic):

Obv: IMP CARAVSIVS P F AVG; Radiate bust right
    Rev: P(AX) AVG; Salus standing left holding rudder with left hand and feeding serpent coiled around patera with his right
    Carausius PAX AVG.jpg
    Obvious problem is that the reverse is not a PAX type, but is a SALVS AVGG type identical to one issued for Tetricus I ... but not for Carausius. What do you think, a barbarous issue or just a messed up reverse on an official type?

Edessa, thejewk, Spaniard and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I think barbarous is a good bet, in my humble opinion.
    My only Carausius to show just how humble:
    Screenshot_20200919-194121_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png

Edessa, Spaniard, Bing and 2 others like this.
  4. nerosmyfavorite68

nerosmyfavorite68 Well-Known Member

The style kind of looks like my first mail order coin, a similar Carausius from Allen Berman.

5. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

Gilbert Askew in The Coinage of Roman Britain lists, under 'Colchester', a variety with PAX AVG holding a 'wreath and baton, javelin or rudder' and gives RIC 329 as a further reference. I don't have time to investigate further right now, but maybe it's worth looking further into that and seeing what gets lumped in with that.

For me, it looks early and/or barbarous, but the waters are muddy when it comes to Carausius.

Brian Bucklan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted