Opinions on a new coin storage plan

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by kirispupis, May 25, 2022.

1. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

I've also wondered about this many times, I've often considered displaying the coins out on a tray with a 1.75 x 1.75 paper for the details on the coin between the coin and the felt of the tray but then the felt on the slot sides I feel can wear down the edges of the coin overtime.

Then I experimented with DIY reopenable slabs like QuickSlabs which can be put in slab trays or big thick slab sheets that can be displayed in big binders,

upload_2022-5-27_9-6-18.png

upload_2022-5-27_9-6-34.png

upload_2022-5-27_9-6-52.png

upload_2022-5-27_9-7-5.png

upload_2022-5-27_9-7-24.png

I've since switched to 2x2 coin flips but this is an idea for you since you can remove the coin from the slab whenever you want. I still use QuickSlabs for bronze coins since I use ren wax (after the heat gun) on bronze coins, putting them in 2x2 flips leaves a film of wax inside the flips, obscuring the visibility of the coin inside.

I honestly still have a thing for slabs and have always liked the way they're displayed, even NGC slabs for ancients. I've even considered ditching everything and just slabbing my high end ancient coins at NGC, it creates a different experience where you don't bother handling the coins and displaying them side by side in a coin flip album where the coins start to feel more insignificant becuase it appears you just have too many of them. I've always felt that NGC slabbed ancients are like a mini museum that you can carry with you.

Dafydd, Clavdivs, ZoidMeister and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

I'm a simple man, and I like to keep things simple. Cardboard 2x2s in red boxes. Write the year and mm on it. File it. For more information I keep a copy of the red book nearby. For those coins that I want more on, like Morgans and WLH coins, I buy the book. I have the CPG on my Kindle, and several sites bookmarked. And since I have often picked up multiple coins of the same year and mm, being in a box instead of a binder saves me from having to move coins every time I get some extra.

kirispupis likes this.
  4. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

I would organize the coins in boxes, ordered by whatever method appeals to you. For each coin I include any provenance information plus any auction tag that might have come with it.

Now if you have additional information for a particular coin there are two ways to store that information/documentation: hard copy or digital. For a coin associated with the documentation I would set up an ID number that links that coin to the documentation, that number, written on the coin's label and the document would enable access to the relevant information.

To me, the ultimate way to link information to a coin is through a database. Databases can be very basic or elaborate. Depending on one's level of skill, forms can be developed, linked to queries, that would enable a use to drill down to documentation, either text or an image of a document for a particular coin, using a unique ID number. Setting something like that would require many hours of work and experimentation.

Last edited: May 27, 2022
    kirispupis likes this.
  5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

They are called sacrificial metals and they differ, Zinc is used to protect iron/steel, for instance, for silver and copper coins, unless they are less than than a year or so from the mint, an oxidation film has started being formed if the coin that wasn't in a sealed environment. The speed is also determined by the area of the world the coin is in. Heavy industry with smoke spewing chimneys are the worst. The middle of a desert is maybe the best. Moisture ( even in the environment or home) can also accelerate the chemical reaction. The roughened copper sheet has a stronger rate of reacting to the chemicals than a 90% copper coin with minor exposure. But once the copper sheet starts to turn darker , it may switch. That is why it has to be roughened up again to regain full activity. Your flips are probably good at keeping the levels low, but if you live in certain areas , sacrificial metal in a box will help the chemical reaction less of a problem.
    Also , I would think about storing in an antique wood box or drawers, Certain wood can damage metals also.
    http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/journa...-04/corrosion-of-metals-associated-with-wood/

I am all bad news I guess :) Jim

6. Jfp7375

Jfp7375 Member

I'd rather receive "bad news" from you than discover bad news... i.e. one of my coins corroding

7. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

I like your method of storage, and I basically do the same for all my unslabbed coins except that I use the Dansco 7000 album. What I like about the Dansco album is that I can also utilize a protective slipcover that helps to preserve the coins from outside contaminants. Depending on the size and thickness of the coins, I can store up to eight (8) pages (160 coins per album). Most of my albums contain seven (7) pages (up to 140 coins).

kirispupis likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted