Opinions choosing between two coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pavlos, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I agree with Doug's hesitations. If there were only one or the other available, you could decide it you wanted it or not. With both available, whichever you buy you will regret not have the detail of the other. I'd pass.

There are many other nice coins to tempt you to part with your money. Why buy one you are not confident you like?

Pavlos likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Dealer and friend Bob Reis gives the stellar advice of avoiding coins where you say: “yes, but”.

“Yes, coin #1 is well-centered and features a good head, but it is very worn and the reverse is poor.”

“Yes, coin #2 has a lot of detail and a great reverse, but the head is janked up.”

(For me, the obverse devices on #1 are clear enough that a high level of detail is not required, and the reverse is inconsequential. I would pick #1, especially if it is significantly cheaper.)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Pavlos and Roman Collector like this.
  4. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

First of all thank you everyone yet again for the valuable opinions and advices.

I gladly take your advice and I decided to take neither. Eventhough I really like the coin type and #2 seems ideal, the head keeps bothering me and I am sure it will keep bothering me even in 10 years. #1 has an amazing head but the detail of everything else is really lacking. After all it is 210 and 170 dollars, it is still quite a lot of money. I hope that in the near future I will find a #2 with a face #1 even if it cost me 50 dollars more, atleast I have a coin I am happy to own then. I am not in a hurry, it is a hobby not a business after all.

Thank you all!

I did get this Thasos diobol which looks amazing in my opinion, a very artistic obverse, this will keep me satisfied from not having a Chios drachm (yet) :)

[​IMG]
    Thasos AR Diobol. Circa 510-480 BC.
    Obverse:
    Satyr running right.
    Reverse: Quadripartite incuse square.
    0.82g; 12mm

It has a really interesting design compared to other examples I have seen, it looks like the hulk from the Satyrs.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Valentinian, Bing and Johndakerftw like this.
  5. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Pavlos, Nice score on a very early coin. Despite the tiny size the celator got a great high relief image of a satyr. The early Greeks had no inhibitions about sex did they :smuggrin:?

Pavlos likes this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The first question here really depends on just how badly the buyer 'must' have that type coin and 'must' have it now. Dealers make a lot of money selling coins to people who will resell them at a loss in a short time. I strongly prefer the Thasos here to either Chios but I am in no way driven to own a Chios. Your feeling about owning a Chios may differ. I may buy one tomorrow or I may buy something else. If we will feel the lack of owning a Chios and don't mind the fact that no dealer will pay half our cost, we can pay the money and make the choice.

I have trouble selling coins I have outgrown. Dealers have enough ordinary coins and won't buy them for stock. I bought too many because they seemed like a good deal but the fact remains they were not financially sound decisions and I have trouble telling you that you should buy them now. Since I can not sell coins (for anything approaching what I paid) to a dealer or to beginners who would appreciate them at this stage of the game, I am faced with the choice of just keeping them or giving them away. I prefer to buy coins now that I will still want later. Is either Chios such a coin?

I have never been a coin dealer and could never be one. I tend to walk away from dealers at shows who seem to be intent on 'boosting' me 'over the edge'. I make enough mistakes on my own without a 'boost'. Perhaps that is why I buy 90% of my new coins from a half dozen 'old' dealers.

I DO like that Thasos. As you said, it compares well to others I have seen. It has good metal and better surfaces than the one I bought in 1991 from CNG. Back then, they were attributed to Lete. I don't know the circumstances of that move. You have to keep up or get left behind like me.
    g30680bb0479.jpg

7. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Congratulations on a great purchase! I think your choice was a good one and you have a coin anyone would be proud to own.

Pavlos likes this.
  8. Multatuli

Multatuli Homo numismaticus

The 2nd have more eye appeal. However, you really can find a 3rd with a better face, keeping the details and centering.

Pavlos likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted