opinion on roman republican coinage

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by smolsketchkid, Jan 17, 2018.

1. smolsketchkid

smolsketchkid Member

Hi! I recently bought some roman republican coinage from a coin show and I am wondering your thoughts on the coins. One coin is an as from the 2nd century bc and the other is an uncial from the 3rd century bc. I also was lucky enough to obtain a marc anthony denarius but it is in a rough state. I want to learn more about coins from the roman republic. thank you.
    IMG_1332.JPG IMG_9693.JPG IMG_3666.JPG IMG_6070.JPG IMG_3245.JPG IMG_5283.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Not bad for your first Republicans! Because of their low silver content the Antony legionary denarii circulated well into the reign of Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus. That's why they are usually found very worn. Some were even found in hoards with the restitution issue 200 years later of the type! I'm a big Antony fan and at one point I was actively trying to get one of each legion which is a nice life long project!

Theodosius likes this.
  4. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Your first coin is a SAX-series as minted 169-158 B.C. similar to this. An interesting note about this coin: it was struck during a period where Rome ceased striking silver for around 10-15 years.

Your second coin is a Crawford 41/10 fully anonymous(no moneyer initials, symbol or mintmark) uncia minted circa 215-212 B.C. like this

For learning more about Roman Republic coinage your first stop should be Andrew McCabe's website. Andrew is one of the most knowledgeable people in the world on the Roman Republic coinage and there's nothing else out there like his website in terms of the sheer amount of information you will find on it. Additionally, check out my website linked in my signature below this post. You'll find several examples of Roman Republic coins in bronze and silver and many have writeups discussing the historical and/or numismatic significance of the coin.

5. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I don't know much about bronze Republicans, but they look about average. Usually these old bronzes are pretty worn. As long as the price was right, you did well.

Here is my only Republican bronze so far.

9BybX7TrEx4Gd5Xemy8Nz6MboAi3F2.jpg
    Roman Republic, Second Punic War, 215 - 212 BC
    AE Sextans, Sardinia (?) Mint, 17mm, 2.37 grams
    Obverse: Head of Mercury right wearing winged petasus.
    Reverse: Prow of galley left, ROMA above, two pellets below.
    Crawford56/6

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice job @smolsketchkid , cool start into the Ancients. One of my favorite collecting areas is the Roman Republic because of its rich History.

Here are a couple in the same time period as yours:

RR AE As P.CORNELIUS P.F. BLASIO BC 169-158  35mm 42.5g S 703 Syd 370 Cr 189-1.JPG
    RR AE As P.CORNELIUS P.F. BLASIO BC 169-158 35mm 42.5g S 703 Syd 370 Cr 189-1

This coin was struck just prior to Hannibal offering to make CAPUA the capital of Italia once the Romans were defeated. Therefore, sentiments in Capua at this time were running AGAINST Rome. I also have a few issues from Capua during the time of Hannibal occupying Capua.
    upload_2018-1-18_8-33-24.png
    Campania Capua 216-214 BC Æ Uncia 20.5mm 6.1g Laur hdJupiter r star value l Victory trophy star value r Monete 21 HN Italy 493

RImp Marc Antony AR Den 32-31 BC Leg III Ship Eagle Standards S 1479 Cr 544-15.jpg
    RImp Marc Antony AR Den 32-31 BC Leg III Ship Eagle Standards S 1479 Cr 544-15

Draft saved Draft deleted