Opinion on Collecting older notes?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by EatYourWheatPennies, Mar 20, 2018.

1. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

My response... giggling at the notion that 1960's - 1990's are *older* notes.

1761 says "Hi..."

upload_2018-3-21_21-46-46.png

Oh and it says collect anything you darn well feel, it's your collection. If *you* like it, then go for it. But collect because it interests you, not because it's valuable to others, because later issues rarely will be.

Michael K likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

I take the Bank Note Reporter for current news and for a base of prices. One book to get that is some way up to date is "Standard Guide to Small-Size U. S. Paper money from 1928 to date. Another is "Paper Money of the United States" a complete Illustrated Guide With Valuations by Arthur L, & Ira S. Friedberg 2017.

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not sure of your location but this was done in California years ago. The only way to tell it was a five was the security thread.

5. BunkerTrapMan

BunkerTrapMan Overcoming adversity is the key to happiness

hahahh from what I have learned, deep pockets make it more fun.
    BTM (C)

SteveInTampa likes this.
  6. In reviewing numerous past CoinTalk e-mails for which I hadn't had time, I opened this thread expecting to see a discussion of Large Size U.S. Currency. A large guffaw escaped my mouth when I saw the actual notes under discussion …obviously "older" is in the mind of the holder.
    It brought to my mind when I purchased with my father a coin shop in Freeport, Grand Bahama Island, BAHAMAS in 1972. In reviewing the
    inventory on 31July1972, we split with the vending owner a very limited stock of circulated Bahamian Sterling Denominated currency literally thumb-tacked on the wall. The Bahamas had decimalized scarcely six years earlier on 25May1966. That was the beginning of my deep dive into Bahamian Sterling Currency, of which I may be the world's premier maven, but of which too few really care. My "dive" has involved hundreds of hours in original research, revisions in identification and a few published articles on Bahamian currency. However, the market reality is that I probably would have been further ahead financially if I had intermittently purchased CU groups of newly issued decimal currency. So… who am I to laugh or be skeptical of what someone else calls older???

Draft saved Draft deleted